Cedar chips

cluckbuttwen

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2019
Fort Worth
I just read the excellent article on raising baby chicks on the home page. I also just found out that cedar chips are highly toxic. I've had my two baby bantams in cedar chips for about three weeks now. I haven't seen any signs of illness or anything. Is there something I need to look out for or should I go ahead and change out the cedar for pine chips now? Thanks.

Welcome to the Flock!
:welcome

Even though you haven't been able to notice any adverse affects yet, I would remove the cedar as soon as possible. It may only take another week or so for symptoms to appear.
Good luck with your babies and we are all glad to have you here as a new member.
:celebrate:hugs:frow:wee:highfive:

I would switch to pine or aspen. I personally feel aged cedar chips in smaller quantities are fine, as it's the aromatic oils that causes respiratory issues, but in a typical brooder there's not enough space to let the aromatics dissipate. Shavings are often especially aromatic due to high surface area exposure on each shaving.

Welcome to the group as well. Everyone here can help you out with all your chicken related questions.

Although as I mentioned, cedar can be highly toxic to chickens and in fact isn’t good for most animals including rabbits and hamster etc.
So not for hamsters too. Yikes.. got a lot on my plate to do all of the sudden :)

WELCOME!!!
Cedar smells great, but the oils aren't good to inhale, when you are living one or two inches above the chips. They cause skin irritations also, when used for rodent bedding. Why the cedar is still sold for this is beyond me...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom