Cedar Creek Hatchery in Twin Lake, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reordered my chicks, thinking it was something on my part because I'm not one to point fingers so quickly...but my 2nd order was cancelled thank god THEN I stumbled upon this website which I wish I had seen before wasting so much time and money. Everyone having the same problems as us, then it starts to become clear it wasn't me at all. Whew...we have over 200 chickens on our farm along with 200+ hatched weekly none of mine were dieing just all of her batches poor health I suggest.

We are not quick to recover because some hatchery's do not offer the rare breeds we are looking for like feather legged cuckoo marans, lav. orpingtons, wheatons' mahogany rir's, CCH is more of a working farm base not truly a hatchery in general like Cackle, McMurray, etc. it is just in their name (Beth from CCH will tell you that & it is also on their home page, and answering machine) also the bloodlines we try to achieve here are from the best breeders. For just the backyard hobbyist who just wants "any chicken" any will do but for the breeders and show folks we want quality so a hatchery chick will not do.

There are many good mail order hatcheries such as McMurray, Cackle, Meyer, Mt Healthy, Privett, Estes, and many more......Take care...

For just the backyard hobbyist who just wants "any chicken" any will do but for the breeders and show folks we want quality so a hatchery chick will not do.

That's the thing, I want quality varieties that are not available from a regular hatchery. CCH was the only source of BT Buff Marans chicks I could find at a price I could afford and that could be delivered through the mail (I am unable to travel to obtain any).

For future chick orders, I will track down reputable breeders who can ship chicks. My next order will be coming from 2XL Marans, a very reputable breeder of show quality Marans.

Last edited:
To Ladycat...Sorry about that..I wasn't really paying much attention...But some of the pictures posted from Cedar Creek in the complaints don't really look like high quality stock to me....Never heard of Blue Bells, either....Was reacting to the "dishonesty" aspect of the problem mostly...These type people simply cannot be trusted; and someone who has been cheated needs to take some action to stop them....They give everyone a bad name...I suppose some Marans are very rare....Take care...I'm on your side here...Good Luck

I wish I had found this thread before I ordered from them this past spring. We ordered 6 chicks and paid extra for sexing as we are not zoned for roosters. 2 BCM, 2 Lavender Orp & 2 Americaunas (Easter Eggers). They shipped 10, 3 arrived dead (we almost revived 1) less than 24 hours after they were dropped off @ MI PO.
When the chicks were 6 weeks old it was clear that we had 4 roosters and unkown breeds on them all. For sure none of them are Lavender Orpingtons or BCM. I emailed photos asking them what breeds they had shipped us and if they could confirm at that time that we had more than 50% roosters. I understood that they can't guarantee sexing but that seems like a pretty steep error margin on their part. I had much better luck on my straight run batch the month before. No answer to several requests.
What I do have after all is done, is 3 extremely expensive pullets. I am certain that 2 are the EE but the little white gal I still have no idea, sweetest one of the flock though.
They have completely soured me on ever ordering online again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom