Cedar for roosting boards

Your roosts don't need to be flat. The important thing is that they be secure, and not wobble. If you can adequately secure tree branches that are at least 2" diameter, those will do. However, if you get an infestation of mites, a 2 x 4 could easily be cleaned, but a tree branch with bark on it should be replaced.

10 ft length.

This would be perfect, I’m trying to cover a 10 ft span. I want to make sure it’s not pressure treated, right?
Right no pressure chemical treatments. Just regular framing lumber works. Framing lumber isn't pressure treated. Spanning 10' you may want to go with a 2X6 or put the 2X4 narrow side up and top it with some of your 1X lumber to make it wider. A 10' 2X4 wide side up will bow when loaded with chickens.
I have oak trees all over my property, I thought the roosting bars had to be flat
Chickens can and do roost in trees so as long as they are wide enough that the chickens can cover their toes with their feathers in winter, they would be ok.

I use that same cedar to divide the nesting boxes with no problems. Our chicken regularly visit my wife in her carving pit while she runs her saws, and sift through the cedar shavingsfor bugs. Again no problems.
Scott

I use that same cedar to divide the nesting boxes with no problems. Our chicken regularly visit my wife in her carving pit while she runs her saws, and sift through the cedar shavingsfor bugs. Again no problems.
Scott
I found 20 ft cypress planks 2x4 . I’m going to quarter them and put them diagonally in the corners of my coops. I have 2 10x10 cages.

I found 20 ft cypress planks 2x4 . I’m going to quarter them and put them diagonally in the corners of my coops. I have 2 10x10 cages.
So if you go across the true diagonal and your coop is a 10' square the length will be about 14'1"and a fraction more. A 2x4 is 3and3/4" wide. Of you rip it into quarters then each stick will be somewhat less than 1" tall by 1 and 3/4 wide. Perhaps ripped in half would work but once ripping it into 4 sticks probably won't particularly if there are any checks in it.

Back
Top Bottom