Cedar shavings covered in chicken poo

Are wood shavings covered in chicken poo good for mixing in my soil for gardening?

• Total voters

Danielle85

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
Warsaw, In
I have wood shavings that are covered in chicken poo and I want to know is it safe to mix them in dirt for my garden

Last edited:
Get that cedar outa there ASAP! It is toxic to chickens!!! REMOVE IT! AND FAST!!! Replace it with some pine wood shavings... PLEASE GET IT OUT OF THERE! Also, sorry not to answer your question, for I don't know anything about it...

I was wrong this is what I have.
Get that cedar outa there ASAP! It is toxic to chickens!!! REMOVE IT! AND FAST!!! Replace it with some pine wood shavings... PLEASE GET IT OUT OF THERE! Also, sorry not to answer your question, for I don't know anything about it...

Attachments

• 20180305_091925.png
    20180305_091925.png
    834.5 KB · Views: 20
Composting it is best, but a thin layer out there around trees and shrubs should be fine.
Cedar shavings are NOT good as animal bedding, for birds or rodents. Use pine shavings instead.
Mary

I till or turn some into my garden in the fall. In spring I only add composted materials.

I have spread a thin layer around ornamental trees in the spring with no I'll effects.
I did notice that weeds were less active in those areas so manure burn is serious stuff.

Wood shavings take a very long time to break down, even if they have chicken poo in them. I would use them on top of the soil, but not churn them into the soil. What is the condition of your chicken run? If it's bare soil, I'd put those shavings in the run. If your run is already covered with deep litter, I'd STILL put them in the run. If that's not an option, then I'd use them for mulch ON TOP OF your soil, perhaps lining your garden paths with cardboard, then putting the chips on top of the cardboard. If that's not a pleasing idea to you, I'd compost them.

Back
Top Bottom