1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cedar shavings in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by debbai, Nov 17, 2013.

1. debbai

debbai New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Oregon Coast
    Well, after long hours of researching, and thank you for all the informative posts on BYC, I am on my way RIGHT NOW to pick up white pine shavings and remove the cedar shaving from my coop; all the research i did prior to getting my chicks, this topic eluded me. I have weighed all the posts, articles, and personal experiences from friends and believe that there is more evidence showing the dangers of using cedar bedding, I pray I havent done any damage to my girls, they have been in the coop for one week.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The more ventilation one has, the less of a problem it is with respiratory concerns but one is better off with pine rather than red cedar.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The problem with cedar is with the dust, a known respiratory irritant, not the odor of the wood.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by