Cedar Shavings to Mix with Pine?

High Mountain Chic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Leadville Colorado
Hey Everyone!

Well my chicks are about 5 weeks old now and due to recent blizzard are still in the brooder in the house. They don't smell that bad, but I was wondering if I can mix some cedar shavings into the pine shavings to help with the aroma a little bit. I am looking forward to getting the girls outside, but with the recent weather we have been having in the Rockies it might be a while. Plus I have friends flying in from the big city of San Fran and would like my house to smell a little fresher. Thanks you guys!

If you do a search on here for "cedar shavings" or even me as the Author, you will find a plethora of discussion on the topic.

I do it all time and have NEVER had a problem.

God Bless,

In a coop maybe although I absolutely would never do it. In a brooder no way. There isn't enough ventilation and the volatile oils will build leading to potential respiratory illness or even organ damage.

Baking soda is slightly safer but I had several small mammals like gerbils develop respiratory issues breathing in baking soda. I also avoid beddings with baking soda now.

i would NEVER use cedar! NO NO NO!

you can use regular leaves from any tree, or cut lawn grass dry or green. hmm, lets see.. i hear of people using sand and scooping the poop out with a fine litter scoop (new or course)

i also use fire weed but im not sure it grows anywhere in the states...

In a pinch I have used shredded newspaper with no problems, just make sure to confetti cut it so their little legs don't get tangled in it

Back
Top Bottom