Cedar Shavings to Mix with Pine?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by High Mountain Chic, Mar 28, 2009.

1. High Mountain Chic

High Mountain Chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Leadville Colorado
    Hey Everyone!

Well my chicks are about 5 weeks old now and due to recent blizzard are still in the brooder in the house. They don't smell that bad, but I was wondering if I can mix some cedar shavings into the pine shavings to help with the aroma a little bit. I am looking forward to getting the girls outside, but with the recent weather we have been having in the Rockies it might be a while. Plus I have friends flying in from the big city of San Fran and would like my house to smell a little fresher. Thanks you guys!

2. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    NO NO NO

No Cedar Shavings. They give of a toxin that damages chickens lungs.

3. High Mountain Chic

High Mountain Chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Leadville Colorado
    Oh Okay!

Thanks for the speedy response! I will stay away from the cedar. Any suggestions on what I might be able to use?

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Ive heard of people mixing a small amout of cedar in, without any harm. Ive used it before without any problems, but always in a well vented area.

5. Kimiko

Kimiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    riverside
    Cedar fumes can be deadly--why take the risk?

There are odor neutralizers available or you can scoop the shavings or change them right before the guests come.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/odor_eliminator.html

I have a HEPA filter set up in front of my brooders which seems to work well.

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    If you do a search on here for "cedar shavings" or even me as the Author, you will find a plethora of discussion on the topic.

I do it all time and have NEVER had a problem.

God Bless,

7. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    What about baking soda? Can we put a sprinkle of that in with the shavings - I do that with my cat's litter box - it helps, a little.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    In a coop maybe although I absolutely would never do it. In a brooder no way. There isn't enough ventilation and the volatile oils will build leading to potential respiratory illness or even organ damage.

Baking soda is slightly safer but I had several small mammals like gerbils develop respiratory issues breathing in baking soda. I also avoid beddings with baking soda now.

9. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i would NEVER use cedar! NO NO NO!

you can use regular leaves from any tree, or cut lawn grass dry or green. hmm, lets see.. i hear of people using sand and scooping the poop out with a fine litter scoop (new or course)

i also use fire weed but im not sure it grows anywhere in the states...

10. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    In a pinch I have used shredded newspaper with no problems, just make sure to confetti cut it so their little legs don't get tangled in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by