cedar shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zippychickens, Nov 5, 2009.

1. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    my niece would like to know if cedar shavings are harmful not only to chicks but also to adult chickens?
    Thanks for a speedy response.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I can't specifically answer that, but I don't use cedar at all, at any age. Not worth the risk- I think it also depends upon the level of ventilation.

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  4. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    thank you

5. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I refuse to use it for any animal

6. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I use it. No problems.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I would suggest doing a search on BYC for "cedar shavings" there are a couple of other fairly lengthy threads on the topic that dispute every single one of those conclusions for the "ratfanclub" type studies with regards to chickens. I have commented on this numerous times so you can also include me as the Author in your search and you may find them faster.

Bottom-line: It don't hurt the birds. If ever there was any doubt, I just put 25 or so chicks in a 4x8x4' enclosed wooden chick house with all but very little ventilation to keep them warm with one heatlamp. I used about 3-4" of 100% cedar shavings on the flooring. My chicks have experienced NO problems.

God Bless,

8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I understand that the sap in cedar is suppossed to be irritating. DEFINATELY do not use anything containing black walnut! It is toxic to most animals, including horses. I can't imagine that commercial shavings today contain walnut, but if you get your bedding from a local source, be sure you know what's in it! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by