cedar trees in the chicken pen...?? good idea or not?

Welcome to the forum.

Big cedar has been shading my run since day one, the girls don't mind it one bit. As long as you aint out there cutting it up and throwing the chips on them it's not gonna bother them. It's the oils and vapors in the wood that harms them not the tree itself.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Cedar trees are totally safe for chickens, I am down here in the south central mountains of NM, ENSCONCED in the darn things! :D The trees will offer much needed shade. It's the eastern cedar bedding you want to avoid, western cedar trees are not an issue.

Great to see another New Mexican on board! :)
That is what I was gathering from my initial research. GOOD TO KNOW! Yes, I know shade is valuable here!! The sun is SO intense! Since you're in NM also, let me ask you this- what about these awful goathead weeds - is that something the chickens will eat? Is it OK to let them? I'd love to exterminate those things! They get tracked into the house ... etc etc... that is one wicked weed!

That is what I was gathering from my initial research. GOOD TO KNOW! Yes, I know shade is valuable here!! The sun is SO intense! Since you're in NM also, let me ask you this- what about these awful goathead weeds - is that something the chickens will eat? Is it OK to let them? I'd love to exterminate those things! They get tracked into the house ... etc etc... that is one wicked weed!
I hear you on the suns intensity, it's already getting too bright and it's still January! :lol:

Oh the goatheads! We bring them in on our feet a lot and of course you KNOW instantly when you've stepped on one in bare feet! :gig The leaves and stems are toxic and generally chickens won't eat poisonous plants unless they are extremely hungry. Lots of toxic plants grow around NM, you will figure them out by what they refuse to eat.

This being said, if you can remove the goatheads, I would. What you don't want happening is the burrs get stuck in their foot pads giving a point of access to bacteria at the puncture hole, creating bumblefoot.

Enjoy, it's going to be a bit blustery this week! :)

I hear you on the suns intensity, it's already getting too bright and it's still January! :lol:

Oh the goatheads! We bring them in on our feet a lot and of course you KNOW instantly when you've stepped on one in bare feet! :gig The leaves and stems are toxic and generally chickens won't eat poisonous plants unless they are extremely hungry. Lots of toxic plants grow around NM, you will figure them out by what they refuse to eat.

This being said, if you can remove the goatheads, I would. What you don't want happening is the burrs get stuck in their foot pads giving a point of access to bacteria at the puncture hole, creating bumblefoot.

Enjoy, it's going to be a bit blustery this week! :)
Thanks so much for your reply- I'd just this morning found other information about the possibility of them getting bumblefoot :(:( Don't want that - I was just dreaming of an ally in the war against goatheads! >sigh< oh well....

Thanks so much for your reply- I'd just this morning found other information about the possibility of them getting bumblefoot :(:( Don't want that - I was just dreaming of an ally in the war against goatheads! >sigh< oh well....
Bumblefoot happens, and is easy to treat if caught early. I am always checking their pads often, they will get little nicks and such, but deep wounds need to be tended early.

Enjoy your flock! :)

Thanks so much- I agree, this is a fantastic resource for a newbie like me! *or for anyone at all I'm sure!
This IS the place be when you keep chickens, hang around on enough and you will learn SO much! Especially medical things, Vets just don't know enough about chickens and it's so much easier to learn how to treat them yourself. There are places on line for all kinds of meds and antibiotics for poultry if you ever need them. BYC has SO many knowledgeable members!

Back
Top Bottom