Cedar with chickens....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savingpurple, Jun 25, 2011.

  1. savingpurple

    savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

    432
    0
    109
    Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Was going to post on another thread but didn't want to steal it.

    I used a 10 year old cedar piece as a ladder and rungs. Is this not good? Can it cause respitory damage as mentioned on the other thread? Should I remove it?

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. Kudzu

    Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

    504
    0
    119
    Mar 27, 2011
    My opinion, it is fine as wine, but I feed my dogs chocolate. I always thought they died of old age (14-15 years old) but I guess I poisoned them.

    My opinion, cedar is great; in fact I just put a cedar roost (15 feet long) in our pen.

    Be prepared, some folks will swear cedar kills and don't feed your dog chocolate, but I will bet you a doughnut to an apple they don't have a bit of hands on experience in either.
     
  3. greenbottle27

    greenbottle27 Out Of The Brooder

    85
    0
    39
    Jun 11, 2011
    Southern NJ
    Quote:I don't want to steal this thread either, but...... [​IMG]

    Kudzu - what is your take on natural cedar mulch? We have natural cedar mulch beds and right now my coop is sitting in it. But, we do plan to rake it out and put some other material down. I will have 2-3 hens free/yard ranging for a couple hours a day with a few of these cedar beds.... my gut says I'm fine. But I don't even own a chicken yet so what do I know. However, I do feed my hounds Godiva [​IMG]
     
  4. jen5680

    jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:I wouldn't worry about a 10 year old cedar board at all!!! I put cedar under all my pine shavings to help keep the
    bugs away and I have never had a problem.
     
  5. mulewagon

    mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

    691
    5
    128
    Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    I rasied all my chicks on cedar shavings, in a wire coop. My nest boxes are filled with cedar shavings, and my broodies and hatching eggs sit on cedar. Nothing wrong with it at all (assuming sufficient ventilation - and if you don't have enough ventilation, the birds will die of several things anyway.)

    (My dog does his level best to subsist on aluminum foil, sticks, dirt, and chicken poop. When he runs out of all that, he reluctantly eats his expensive dogfood [​IMG] )
     
  6. greenbottle27

    greenbottle27 Out Of The Brooder

    85
    0
    39
    Jun 11, 2011
    Southern NJ
    Quote:HA! HA! Aluminum foil! Now that's gotta hurt on the way out [​IMG]

    I am good with ventilation so I believe all is well, just as my gut said.

    Thanks for the input [​IMG]
     
  7. MustangGal

    MustangGal Out Of The Brooder

    45
    1
    24
    May 3, 2011
    I think there is a huge difference between cedar shavings and a cedar board. We ran out of the wood we were using on our coop and ended up using a couple pieces of old cedar board in the run.

    RE: Chocolate in dogs. It just depends on the acutal concentration of chocolate. Many years ago, we had a dachshund ~11 lbs. He got on top of the kitchen table and ate 2/3rds of a package of semi-sweet baking chocolate chips. I will spare you the description of the mess we came home to..... the smell of said mess defies description. We rushed him to the emergency vet and after emetics (to make him vomit), activated charcoal, and several days of fluids, we realized he would survive. It was a very close call. However, he did not learn his lesson. A couple of years later, the same little monster at 1/2 a bag of bubble gum. Bubble gum looks the same coming out as it did going in.... very pink! It didn't make him sick, but the image of my dog trying to get the sticky mass of pink gum off his bum is forever burned in my brain.
     
  8. pawsplus

    pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

    666
    17
    151
    Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Yes, please don't "diss"' the dogs and chocolate thing. The fact that a large dog fed milk chocolate on occasion (i.e., lower concentration of theobromine (what is toxic to dogs about chocolate) than what is in dark chocolate) survives does NOT mean that chocolate is OK for dogs. Despite my warning them, my brother and SIL's toy poodle got into someone's purse in which a large brownie resided and he ended up VERY sick and having to spend the night at the emergency clinic. $400 later, he was fine, thank goodness, but they are now VERY careful. Smaller dogs are at greater risk than large dogs (assuming amount of chocolate fed is equal); dogs fed chocolate that is darker (higher concentration of theobromine) are at higher risk than those fed milk chocolate.

    Please be very careful with this!!

    Back to the topic at hand: it is cedar SHAVINGS that are risky--where the oils are exposed to the air. 10 year old wood has very few aromatic oils left. Even so, if you are going to cut the wood I would make the ladder and then leave it outside for a week or so to allow the oils to disseminate before using it.
     
  9. savingpurple

    savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

    432
    0
    109
    Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    RE: Dogs and chocolates....my yellow lab, Bless his soul, decided one october night while we were away, to eat all my stash of Halloween candy. He ate ALOT. Bags and bags. When we came home, we had to call the emergency hospital,and they told us what to watch for. Well, he worsened, and off I went. They tried for many hours to bring his heart rate down, and gave him multiple doses of the meds to do so. He stayed about 24 hours. He did survive, and was very lucky, but we almost lost him. Best dog I ever had. He lived to be almost 13, and had to be put down, but man he gave us a scare that night. The next few weeks were very colorful in our back yard in the poop he left! Kit kats, muskateers, Nestle Crunch, etc........LOL So moderation yes....just not bags [​IMG]
     
  10. ChooksinChoppers

    ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Definate no on the cedar shavings... def no on the chocolate and grapes and turkey skin (cooked) as the theobromine builds up over time in the liver and poisons them and pigging out on Chocolate just kills them quicker. Back on the cedar shavings.....why even risk using them? Cedar wood especially aged as yours is..will be fine.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by