Cedarwood Oil Mistake

richardfairlie

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2019
Hi All,

I have 3, 6 month old broiler type chickens. As i recently moved I bought this part of my flock with me because my leghorns bully them and 2 have bumblefood.

The flies descended on us and the girlfriend was getting upset at them coming in the house.

I made a fly spray for the house and garden. Neem oil and cedarwood oil ( i have dogs, a cat and the chickens)

It was only after i sprayed the house and whole garden (not on the chickens) but near them and where they like to hang out, that i looked up cedarwood oil for chickens and its toxic. I only used 20 drops of oil per 2000ml water (with neem oil which i know is already safe for chickens and dogs). I used 3 x 2000 ml for the whole garden.
Is my mistake going to be deadly for mu chickens? as in, if they sit on the grass where its sprays or eat things that was covered in it, will it kill them?

its only been an hour since i sprayed and they have already moved positions from where they normally like to hang out to other places they never went before, possibly to get away from it.

i will put them in their cages now and give them fresh food and water, but have i accidentally killed them? or is there anything i can do now that might help them, or what signs should i look out for?

thanks

Where did you find this information, and does your source give the LD50 of cedarwood oil for chickens?

I've done some reading. Not all cedarwood oils are created equal, as many species of cedar and a couple of different extraction methods are in play. Concentrations of active ingredients also differ. Studies showing toxic effects for ant species mainly deal with prolonged exposure. On the basis of this, I expect one brief exposure to do your chickens no harm.
People appear to be selling cedarwood oil products for poultry-related purposes, and the top few Google hit summaries did not include wording such as "manufacturer sued". This is another good sign.

I was using it for flies. but many sites say cedarwood oil is toxic to chickens and many birds
It seems to be a case of people repeating what they have heard without the toxicology research being done. I couldn't find an LD50 anywhere for any of the various forms of cedarwood oil. Without that, there is no way to establish the level of risk or safety. I could find poultry products including cedarwood oil. I could find hazy ideas about prolonged exposure maybe posing a risk.

Cedar is usually not recommended due to it causing respiratory irritation, since you sprayed outside, in a diluted form, it's probably not an issue. However, since they moved, they may be telling you they don't like it. I think the type of cedar matters, and it's not recommended to be use directly on them. Can you move them to another area for a few days, to let it dissipate? Here are a couple of links that might help. I wouldn't worry too much, what is done is done. You might consider trying rosemary plants around the house. I have them in my chicken run and they lay in them during the high fly population months, seems to help keep the flies and gnats off them. Likewise, a diluted rosemary oil spray might work also. I use a homemade spray on myself for mosquito's and it contains rosemary oil and texas cedarwood (Juniperus ashei), which is a safe one.
https://www.cedarcide.com/bugs-pest-control/cedar-oil-safe-birds/
http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml (list of 'safe' and 'unsafe' woods for pet birds)

Cedar is usually not recommended due to it causing respiratory irritation, since you sprayed outside, in a diluted form, it's probably not an issue. However, since they moved, they may be telling you they don't like it. I think the type of cedar matters, and it's not recommended to be use directly on them. Can you move them to another area for a few days, to let it dissipate? Here are a couple of links that might help. I wouldn't worry too much, what is done is done. You might consider trying rosemary plants around the house. I have them in my chicken run and they lay in them during the high fly population months, seems to help keep the flies and gnats off them. Likewise, a diluted rosemary oil spray might work also. I use a homemade spray on myself for mosquito's and it contains rosemary oil and texas cedarwood (Juniperus ashei), which is a safe one.
http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml (list of 'safe' and 'unsafe' woods for pet birds)
is rosemary effective in killing or repelling chiggers?
We have 2 month old guineas also and I dont want to kill all the bugs, but the chiggers are eating us up

Where may I purchase some of your homemade spray? I’m in Texas and sick of the smell of off.

I will share the ingredients I use (I can't remember where I got this, so can't give credit to the original maker) and I have tweaked it a bit. I use Aura Cacia oils, but there are lots of brands available. Mine uses a water/alcohol base, so is not greasy at all, but you may have to reapply more often. There are a couple of commercial brands I'm aware of (they are becoming more common) both contain oil, one is all oil base, the other is less oil, more water and soap. So the first is pretty oily going on, if that bothers you, the second is less, but still has some oil. I have seen the Greenways also with no oil, just soap (to mix the essential oils), so read the ingredients.
Both are pretty widely available, check your Walmart, Target, etc.
The ingredients otherwise are very similar to what I make. I can't stand greasy and I'm very sensitive to fragrances (essential oils
don't tend to bother me) so I mostly use the one I make and keep others on hand for just in case I run out or for others that may visit.
The commercial brand ones are Baby Organics, and Greenways Organic.
1594566344001.png

1594566555646.png

The recipe I use is:
4 oz clean spray bottle (fine mist spray works best)
1.5 oz of distilled water
1.5 oz of high proof alcohol (vodka)
(if you don't want to use the alcohol you can substitute just 3 oz of water, or 2 oz of water and 1 oz witch hazel)
15 drops of citronella java essential oil
10 drops of lavender essential oil
10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
5 drops of lemon grass essential oil
5 drops of rosemary essential oil
5 drops of Texas Cedarwood essential oil
(50-75 drops maximum per 4 oz bottle) You can double it if you want to make more at one time. Shake well before applying and avoid spraying in your face. To apply to your face spray on your hand and apply with your hand, avoiding your eyes.
Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom