Ceiling height?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Number21, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Number21

Number21 New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    Hello everyone, I'm about to get my first chicken. Just one...for now. Not sure what type yet. I'd like to build a run that is 3'x4' and a coop that is about 1' x 3'. Does this sound about right for one chicken? How tall do the walls/roof of the enclosure need to be?

Also, I'm wondering about letting them run in my yard. If I were to clip the wings, would you say that any yard that is "weiner dog proof" would also be "chicken proof"? I have a fence but I'm not sure how good chickens are at escaping. The fence is only about 5' high in some places.

2. Number21

Number21 New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    Another question - if I cut a hole in the side of a 55 gallon drum, would that make a suitable coop for just one chicken?

3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Height of the walls depends totally on if you want to walk in there or not. What ever you do your run should have a roof on it. Don't clip wings if you don't have to it disarms them from having a chance of being able to get away from a predator. Most large fowl chickens don't fly much any way. I think the better question is is the Wiener dog chicken proof.

Dachshunds have a strong prey drive and are excellent diggers. They were originally bred for digging out Badgers. Make sure your run has a skirt on it around the outside so if your dog decides go go for take out. Don't get me wrong I Wuve my doggies but I also don't leave temptation out for them.

WRT 55 gallon drum on the second post. I have seen them used layed on their sides with a couple of bricks to keep them from rolling. You can even put a little roost in there too. But It really depends on your location as to how and where to build your chicken housing.

If i were you take a look at the small coops site here to get some ideas.

Oh and [​IMG] from San Diego

4. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    That five foot fence really depends on the type of chicken you're getting...I have really flighty chickens, OEG and Leghorns, they would hop over easy. However, like perchie girl said, most larger bodied chickens probably could but most likely wouldn't cuz there lazy. Oh, and also the coop size could be smaller or large depending on the type of chicken. Bantams need less room cuz there smaller, meat chickens usually sleep on the ground (dont perch) ect...

Oh, and you can clip there wing (singular), just do one because it throws them off balance when they try to fly. Also, that size for your coop is fairly small...but I've seen single pens around that size. As long as you let him range. Some people even put a leash on their chickens ankles...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  5. PonderingChick

PonderingChick Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    Lacey, WA
    I have heard chickens are a rather social creature...any chance you would consider having two?

6. chickenjoefan

chickenjoefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Western Isles, Scotland
    i agree with pondering chick, hens are flock creatures and really need company. You shouldn't really keep one chicken on its own.

as for house design it really does depend on what breed you are thinking of. If you are short on space 2 bantams would be better than one large fowl.

7. Number21

Number21 New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    Thanks for the info everyone! I was thinking about two birds...I guess that wouldn't really take up much more space than one. I think my Dachshund will be absolutely terrified of the chickens like he is of everything else. [​IMG]

I want a good egg layer, I was thinking about a Leghorn. Sounds like it would be hard to keep in the yard though? Can you guys recommend a good egg layer that is relatively lazy?

Should be pretty well protected from predators, not many around my yard besides cats. Definately would have to make the coop racoon proof though....

8. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Quote:If I were you I would go for a good dual breed like the RIR (Rhode Island Red) beautiful all around good chicken that lays brown eggs. Dual breeds are ones that lay a good amount and are big enough to eat.

BTW heres a pen I just set up for 2 of my RIR's...Costed $0
    Oh, and I'm going to put chicken wire all the way around the bottom. Not exactly predator proof but It'll do. My dogs keep the predators away.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Our coop is 8ft high and our run is 5ft high. This is personal preference. I had to convince Hubby to make the run taller. In the end, he was happy he listened to me. The chicks often fly to the top. Plus, I can sorta walk in there to chase the chicks back in the coop if need be.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Definitely either Black Australorp or Buff Orpington. Both are usually laid back, relatively quiet, relatively easy to to tame, and (at least around here) easy to find at feed stores in the spring. Now, chickens are individuals and you can get a jerk in any breed, though this hasn't happened to me yet with either of these. Last I read, a Black Australorp held the world's record for eggs laid in a year (364,) and both lay almost daily and all winter for me.

I'd get 3. You might lose one, or one might turn out to be a roo, and if you did, you still wouldn't have a lone chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by