Ceiling of the Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickadee93, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Ok so I'm planning a big run for my chickens, and that would be a pain to put a wire roof over ALL of that, especially when the leaves start falling [​IMG]

So if I clip the chickens' wings how high would the fence have to be to stop them from flying out or is a ceiling manditory?

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    7 feet to be safe. But what about hawks, possums and coons climbing the wire... I think roofs make it safer.

3. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    How big is big? My chicken run is 16x48 and my duck run is 24x48, I have both covered with bird netting? I bought both off ebay.

4. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Quote:Big is about on estimate 20x30 ft

Bird netting seems to be an option though, I could remove it when I need to. [​IMG]

5. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I have 8' fence and they still fly up and walk along the top. Lucky for me I don't have to worry about it because they wander the neighborhood anyway.[​IMG]

Bird netting is a good way to go:)

6. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    www.birdbgone.com this is the way to go my run in 33x22 and i order a specially cut 2in birdnetting from them it has 10 yr guarantee and the one piece netting for the entire run only weighs 2.8 oz

7. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    You might consider making a covered portion off of the coop. If you can, put a hot wire along the top of your fence. I have been successful keeping out predators with this system. I have a completly enclosed yard off of my coop so that I can lock them up if it is needed, but normally they range in the small pasture with my goats. The fence is 4' tall and I have never had a fly over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by