Celadon eggs just went into our incubator! 1st hatch.

Feb 17, 2021
I just added 30 Celadon eggs to our incubator. I'm nervous. The plan is 45% humidity and 99.5-100 F. It has an automatic turner but it doesn't move them a ton (or so it seems). Hopefully it's enough. We were told to not turn on the automatic turner for 48 hours (because they were shipped).

Has anyone successfully candled a Celadon egg? Should I even try?

Also, I was told to put down a paper towel in the incubator before lock down, to help the chicks get their footing the first little bit. Does that sound right? Won't a paper towel throw off the humidity?

Any other tips? I'm in Utah, if that helps.

IMG_20210226_104911_326.jpg IMG_20210226_104911_328.jpg

I just added 30 Celadon eggs to our incubator. I'm nervous. The plan is 45% humidity and 99.5-100 F. It has an automatic turner but it doesn't move them a ton (or so it seems). Hopefully it's enough. We were told to not turn on the automatic turner for 48 hours (because they were shipped).

Has anyone successfully candled a Celadon egg? Should I even try?

Also, I was told to put down a paper towel in the incubator before lock down, to help the chicks get their footing the first little bit. Does that sound right? Won't a paper towel throw off the humidity?

Any other tips? I'm in Utah, if that helps.

View attachment 2546154View attachment 2546155
I candle celadon eggs all the time, I find it easier that normal speckled eggs.

The person I bought my original celadon eggs from also told me not to turn them for 48-72 hours to rest the air cells. Honestly turning doesn’t really matter early on like that imo, as the chick is just a few cells clumped together, so it’s your choice. Did you set the eggs fat side up for 24 hours before you put them in the incubator? If you did, it’s probably fine to start the turner.

I candle celadon eggs all the time, I find it easier that normal speckled eggs.

The person I bought my original celadon eggs from also told me not to turn them for 48-72 hours to rest the air cells. Honestly turning doesn’t really matter early on like that imo, as the chick is just a few cells clumped together, so it’s your choice. Did you set the eggs fat side up for 24 hours before you put them in the incubator? If you did, it’s probably fine to start the turner.
No, we were told to put them right in when we get them but the shipped fat side up and sat at my post office (without them notifying me) for the last 24 hours. Will that be a problem?

Your temperatures sound good, but I would lower the humidity to about 30% until you get pips.
Thank you. The instructions that came with it said 45%-50% until lock down and then 70%-80% during lockdown... but that seemed high from what I've read. Is it just different in varying places?
Without adding any water we were staying at 25% in our house.

Thank you. The instructions that came with it said 45%-50% until lock down and then 70%-80% during lockdown... but that seemed high from what I've read. Is it just different in varying places?
Without adding any water we were staying at 25% in our house.
I did that with my first two hatches. I got much better hatch rates when I lowered the humidity.

I did that with my first two hatches. I got much better hatch rates when I lowered the humidity.
Any tips on getting and keeping the humidity at 30? We have a small sponge in there that is damp and it's staying around 50. Just a smaller sponge?

Back
Top Bottom