1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Celery ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cajunlizz, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Hi,

My girls love Celery, sometimes I chop it up and sometimes I hang it up for them to attack and they spendages playing with it.
    Seems good to me and the local store reduces the price sometimes, and they still look really good. I can get it for a few pence a pack.

Jena

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:You are so right! My chickens hate anything in their teeth. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I read once that "the better for basket weaving, the worse for chicken feeding", so when I feed stuff like kale, I remove the leaves from the woody stalks. I hate celery myself so we have never had any to feed the girls, but I probably wouldn't do it myself.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

Now that there was funny. I don't care who you are

1 person likes this.
  5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana

NEWS FLASH >>>> GO OPEN YOUR HENS MOUTH AND LOOK , THEY DO NOT HAVE TEETH [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

NEWS FLASH >>>> GO OPEN YOUR HENS MOUTH AND LOOK , THEY DO NOT HAVE TEETH [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think something untoward happened last year in my backyard. I suspect that my chickens are a RIR-possum cross. Hence the teeth. [​IMG]

7. mistyt14

mistyt14 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    was looking to see about celery for my girls. Have to say this post gave me a laugh!

1 person likes this.
  8. littlemama

littlemama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    my 4 week olds were terrified of it! ran into the corner to hide as best they could. But it is SO green it livens up their winter in a white bath tub white paper towel

9. Writingbug

Writingbug Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Payette, Idaho
    I was just reading over this and I was seeing that they can which is good but I was wondering how people feed their veggies to chickens? Do you guys just throw it on th ground?

10. EmilyOfIndiana

EmilyOfIndiana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Centrail Indiana
    I do writingbug. They do fine just eating it off the ground. Left covers, veggies, worms anything. :3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by