Cement and Asphalt

When using concrete flooring you must consider drainage. All that water needs to go somewhere. You can create a more foot friendly floor by adding a rubber covering over the cement-the type that is used in horse stalls -and cover it shavings and so forth. Put gravel under the rubber flooring and create a gentle slope that will allow drainage. It would be better if you covered the run so no rain could get in. If space allows put in a kiddie pool and fill it with sand to create an area the chickens can get in and scratch about. To solve your problem about an apron, add an electric wire around the base of your coop. You can use a cement floor if you use your imagination on how to keep your chickens happy. Years ago I had cement runs (converted dog kennel) and actually liked how I could clean the floor between flocks. Since the floor had a nice slope spraying the floor was a breeze. I simply covered the floor with lots of substrate (hay-shavings) and used a rubber container for a sandbathing area for the residents. It worked great!

If it is under the eve of the adjacent building then you can put another pitched roof on the run itself to move the water (to the left in the photo), You will need a ditch or trough to the left of that to drain the water away somethere.

If you make the litter deep enough it will not matter what is under it. It would be like building a run on compacted soil.

I would be worrying about rotting out the wood on the adjacent building .

That spot has a lot going against it for a chicken run but could be a good place for a lumber rack or someting. It may be easier to start fresh and find another lccation for the birds.

Back
Top Bottom