Cement floor for coop?

I have a cement pad already, how thick should the pine shavings be? meaning how deep?or would straw be better? eithe way should I totally cover the cement pad?

Last edited:
I have a cement pad already, how thick should the pine shavings be? meaning how deep?or would straw be better? eithe way should I totally cover the cement pad?

I don't think it makes that much of a difference on how thick it is. I want mine deep enough that it stays clean longer. Right now things are wet and snowy so I want if deeper to help clean the feet before the chickens enter the nesting boxes. In the summer when it is hot and dry I put less straw in the coop. I have 4 to 5 inches of straw in my coop right now. I think a lot depends on how often you clean your coop. I clean mine once a month, more often in the summer. I have a friend who uses shavings and I think hers is just a few inches deep but she cleans her coop often.

Two comments on this subject:

1. It depends on the geology where you are. Around here the soil is alluvial. That being the case, cement cracks due to settling of the substrate.
  2. Concrete is permanent! If you decide to move the coop for whatever reason, your stuck with the slab.

4-20170607_122559.jpg ok Here in Florida we have been getting a lot of rain and ever time it rains ,My chicken run is a big muddy hole .We have decided tp put cement in the run .adding a small kids pool for dust bath, and letting them out in the day time when I'm out side, tired of my girls being muddy,hope it works,
3-20170607_122551.jpg
3-20170607_122551.jpg
4-20170607_122559.jpg
4-20170607_122559.jpg
4-20170607_122559.jpg
4-20170607_122559.jpg
4-20170607_122559.jpg

I have a cement slab floor with pine shavings on top. I also insulated the slab before the pour and put a loop of PEX for use as hydronic heat source later if I want. It cost $25 for the PEX and you can't put it in after the fact.

If you insulate the slab, it will retain heat much better than if you don't. No matter what, concrete floor is not any colder than the dirt on the ground, so I don't buy into the "cement will always be cold" comment.

Here are some photos.

My chicken run doesn’t move. The coop is inside it. Would you recommend a cement floor for a run? Right now, it’s just dirt and, of course, rats have gotten in and in the rain, snow & pecking, the ground is uneven, packed in hard but still rodent-permeable. I’m hoping to dig it out and lay a cement floor, then put dirt above- is bad idea for a run? Worried the chickens will hurt their beaks pecking on it if they dig down to the cement.

Back
Top Bottom