1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cement ponds???

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by pheasant24, Jul 26, 2011.

1. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    do anyone have cement ponds pics? I know waterdog does. are they easy to clean out?
    If anyone wants to give some advice on how to make one, that would be most helpful!

2. laadeebug

laadeebug Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I think it depends on your definition of easy. My mother used to have a little one in the front yard. She didn't build it with a drainage or filtering system so she had to empty it out every so often with a bucket, clean it out and start over. I don't really think she thought hers out too well. Anyhow, I know that there are instructions in the DIY section on the self sufficient living sites like Mother Earth. I have been looking into building one myself so there is a lot of stuff out there. Good luck.

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    page 50 (I THINK)
    On my migratory waterfowl thread ( in the sticky section for ducks)
    has some of my old ones

If built with a drain, yes they are easy, pull the plug and wash down with bleach and a hose.
    if not, they are a nightmare, You will have to get a sump pumg and drain them, them shovel all the mess out by hand.
    I would highly advise a drain system.
    Filters not needed, it would take a super massive one to keep up with a lot of ducks any way.

no real right way to do it
    just dig your hole and pack it with at least 3 inches of cement.
    The drain should be at least 3 inches, I used 4, to keep from clogging
    I stubbed up another section of pipe to the water level. at the water level put a cap on it, but drill some holes at the water level line of the pipe. This will allow drainage in storms or what not to prevent flooding the pen.
    Do not glue this section in, leave it press fitted.
    Now when you are ready to drain, just grab it and pull it out and you are good to go.

4. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    ohhh...ok! so how deep at some? I think i need mine at least 1 1/2 feet deep.

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    depends on what all you plan to have. For all the puddle ducks, 10-18 iches is plenty
    for the divers I always did 2-3 foot

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Be sure to seal the concrete somehow- otherwise, it will seep dry overnight.

7. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Quote:well i have egytian geese and shelducks and mandarins and calls and soon ringed teal.

8. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Quote:like a cement sealer?

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:well i have egytian geese and shelducks and mandarins and calls and soon ringed teal.

you'll be good on a shallow one then.
    Shelducks and geese arent big water birds, they'll be happy with anything.
    I wouldnt put any sealer in the cement, it will get in the water and possibley poison the birds.

If you are concerned with seapage, put plastic under the cement before you pour it.

I always used the minor seapage to my advantage though by allowing me to keep a fine mist blowing over the ponds, they really liked that

10. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI

you'll be good on a shallow one then.
    Shelducks and geese arent big water birds, they'll be happy with anything.
    I wouldnt put any sealer in the cement, it will get in the water and possibley poison the birds.

If you are concerned with seapage, put plastic under the cement before you pour it.

I always used the minor seapage to my advantage though by allowing me to keep a fine mist blowing over the ponds, they really liked that

ok well my shelduck wont even go in water thats deep. but my geese love deep water. i have a tiny fish pond in there and its about 2.5 feet deep.
    And is seapage some sealant?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by