Censorship rears its ugly head. Sort-of. *SIGH*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by luvmychicknkids, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Just wanting to rant a little. My oldest son is in 5th grade. Not sure how other schools do it, but the children are tested and set a reading level. They are required to read books within their levels and test on those books. They set their base level either at their grade or below depending on their ability and then go to a high level according to their ability. His is 5.6 (which means they expect him to read like the average child 6 months into 5th grade) to a top level of 12.8 (yes, 8 months in to 12th grade). This is no shock, he is a fantastic reader and never reads "children's" books and grew out of the "teen" level books a couple of years ago. So really, he reads as an adult and has a comparable comprehension. All good, one might think. Well, the library doesn't seem to think so. First he tried to check out A tale of Two Cities. She finally let him but he had to fight for his right to. She said he was too young and wouldn't be able to read it (even though she has access to his reading level). Good boy, he refused to back down and won the battle, checked out the book, and returned it, read, in a week. Now he wants to check out books in the series' by his favorite author Stephanie Meyer. She says they are too mature and will not let him. He couldn't win this one. So, I have written a note telling her he is allowed to read them and if he can't check them out I will simply purchase them. I just feel confused. Why would a school have books in their library they won't allow a child to read? If they think books on this level are too mature why are they willing to admit he reads at the level of a high school senior? Sorry, this had no point at all except to vent some frustration at our public school system!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I understand your frustration, maybe you could have a meeting with your childs school and point out that the policy is stupid.

3. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    I totally agree with you. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, dear. I had a kindergarten teacher act like we were crazy that we would even try to teach our three year old phonics, spelling, etc. I say, if they can learn, they should learn. I can't comment on the Meyer books (dont know her), but if your boy can read a Tale of Two Cities, geez Louise, you should be proud! This is why high school seniors cant even read at a fifth grade level half the time, this habit of trying to hold them back just to prepare for some stupid state test rather than really teaching them. As an avid reader myself, I can tell you that your boy will be far ahead of most of his college peers by the time he gets to that age.

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am going to see if the note will work first. I mean, some parents are so psycho I can see them being careful what they allow them to check-out. However, if they won't let him with the note from me, a visit will definitely be in order.

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Oh no they didn't.............. This is a public school, correct? You bought those books with your tax dollars that go to that school. I have NEVER heard of a school hendering the education of a pupil. This is absurd. I would have to march myself right up there and make it clear that your son is free to read any and every book in that library if he so wishes. [​IMG]

7. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Which is one example of why I homeschool!!

The public school system is all about control and how THEY can control and influence YOUR child.

When the local principal told us to our face that our kids were no longer in our custody or our responsibility once they are on the bus, we jerked them out and sent our homeschool notice in.

Can you go in with him next time he tries to get a book? If they still won't let him check out books that he has your ok to read, then find a book that will blow their socks off.

Sheesh, they let kids read Harry Potter don't they?? Nothing in that library can be any more involved than those are! (I love Harry Potter, btw, don't think I am criticizing the books!) but it's a school library! I mean come on, if the kids can't read it, WHY is it there?!

8. HSmamma

HSmamma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Good for your son. Mine is also an avid reader. I would talk to the librarian and write a note to his teacher and the principal. You can always go in and say...."Can I see the written policy on such and such." It sometimes make them realize how ridiculous they are being.
    My son was much the same way. His school refused to bend and wouldn't give him challenging stuff. He was bored to death. Now we homeschool and he reads what he wants at his level. Not an option for everyone but it works perfect for us.
    hsmamma

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Oh, trust me, I know what you mean. The illiteracy rate of this country saddens me. All three of my kids are way above average readers and I love that....he is just the one who enjoys it the most. [​IMG] I started reading to them while they were still in my tummy. [​IMG]

That is the thing that frightens me the most....they are acting like they want to hold him back at the level of his peers and it makes no sense at all!!! I think THEY should be proud to have a child who loves to read as he does in their school (of course I am a touch biased). [​IMG]

10. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Is it the schools policy not to let the children read these books, or is the librarian. If it's the librarian's, then maybe you should have a little chat with the principal? I don't think it should be up to her do decide what your son should and should not be reading, especially considering his reading level. Either that, or maybe you need to talk directly to her and explain that you want him to be reading these books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by