Central Missouri Back-yard Chicken Owner :D

arishoks

Chirping
Jan 26, 2021
Warrensburg, MO
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

No, I kept chickens growing up in California, but just got back into owning chickens. I've had mine for about a year now!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I currently have 11 total. 2 males and 9 hens

(3) What breeds do you have?

1 handsome bantam cochin rooster named Brutus, a cockerel named Susu of the same breed that I'm trying to rehome, and then 9 ladies; 2 cochin frizzle bantams (named Chihiro and Sen), 2 Seramas (Cork and Smokey Quartz), and then 5 beautiful black langshan ladies which have yet to be named!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Having and taking care of them is my favorite part. I love feeding and watering them and making sure they are happy! The eggs are a nice bonus too. I sit outside with them and give them mealworms all the time. I suffer from anxiety and depression and honestly they really make me feel better. I love watching the social dynamic between rooster and hen; my rooster, Brutus, is a great rooster. He isn't aggressive towards people at all, but he'd defend his ladies with his life. I've witnessed him alert his girls to danger multiple times. Mostly birds that fly by the yard, or even a few times a air-plane in the distance! He has also alerted them to a hawk at least once that I've seen (he saw the hawk before me!) and they all ran under my porch. He's so good at his job!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm an artist in my spare time, and I also make and sell candles! My brand was totally inspired by my rooster. Gothic Chicken Candles on etsy. I have some chicken themed scents on the way soon lol!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am married and live with my husband in a small suburb in a small town in Missouri. My little sister also lives with me while going to one of the local colleges. She lost her job because of corona-virus and so I let her live with me. I also have 3 cats who I love with all my life, and I keep reptiles. A bearded dragon named Ozai, a leopard gecko named Sahrotaar, and a crested gecko named Nugget! I work full time right now but I'm planning on returning to school to get my bachelors degree in either Evolutionary Biology or Illustration, haven't decided yet.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I have been using this forum as a resource for over a year now but never signed up for some reason. I'm going to hatch chicks soon and wanted advice so I signed up!

Attachments

• brutus.jpg
    brutus.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 3
  • chickies.jpg
    chickies.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 2
So true!!!! All the boys I've had have been so pretty! But thank you, I've had Brutus since he was just a few days old, I'm very attached to him. He tolerates me haha.

That’s good. My aunt had a pet Brutus but it was a St. Bernard huge but a big love. We used to nap with him by the fireplace in her all season room overlooking the farm after a hard day on the farm.Whenever I visited I had to help with chores because if the Swans guy came buy we could get an ice cream. Plus I loved the animals. I would have helped for free. I also loved my uncles train set in the basement. Milking cows or goats took a bit, it was by hand, but fun and I’m fast. Favorite pets were her horses, chickens, and ducks. 😍

Back
Top Bottom