Central Texas Newbie

txbelle413

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2016
Temple, TX
Well, I'm new here, and I'm new to chickens also. I recently bought a house on 2 acres that happened to have a large chicken coop already built. A good friend of mine asked if I wanted her Rhode Island Red hen since the kids had lost interest and she said she had too many eggs to eat. I gladly accepted my first new chicken friend and began reading everything I could about raising chickens. I stumbled across this website during my research and decided to become a member. I have learned a lot from the various posts and I love the feedback from people more experienced than myself.
I have gotten a little obsessed with this new hobby and even decided to get a few pullets when the same friend gave me her coop. So, here I am, about a month into my backyard chicken adventure with two coops, 1 Rhode Island Red hen (Henrietta), 1 Black Australorpe pullet (Agnes), 1 Barred Rock pullet (Blanche), 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte (Dottie), a bunch of new knowledge, and a love for this new hobby.
Eventually I want to add a few more breeds to our little flock and I'm researching plans to build yet another large chicken coop.
My hen has only given us 5 eggs in the 2 or 3 weeks that we have had her and my friend said she got an egg every day when she had the hen. I'm not sure if it's due to moving stress or because good ole Texas weather goes from 40 to 80 degrees in the same week. I'm still learning, but I'm doing everything I can to make my girls happy short of being free range because I'm not entirely confident that they will come back to the coop or that I will be able to catch them.
My fiance and I love to see how excited the chickens are to see us when we go to check on them and especially when we bring them treats. It is so cute to see them come to meet us at the door and hear them talking. I'm not sure what else to say, except that we have just fallen in love with the chickens and can't wait to get more!

welcome-byc.gif

How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Hi and a warm welcome to BYC! Congrats on your new flock - its very addictive - keeping chickens and it sounds like you have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. You are most certainly in the right place for everything chicken. The Learning Centre is a good place to start, along with your state thread. Make yourself at home here at BYC.

BTW - your chickens will know where their coop is by now, so don't worry about having to chase them around your 2 acres every evening - they'll go to the coop by their own volition once dusk falls. And re: eggs - you are probably right - stress of a new place and the weather.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Nice introduction, it was fun to read. CTKen is right, by now your girls will know to go inside at dusk. Keep in mind free ranging can mean you lose an occasional bird to predators, whether to do it or not is a decision everyone has to make for themselves.

When you're ready to add more chickens, be sure to read up on integration. The 30 day isolation is very important and the "look but don't touch" method of getting all the birds used to one another can make the process go smoother.

It's nice to have you here, make yourself at home!

Back
Top Bottom