Ceramic Heater

hprc2002

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2021
New Zealand
This is a copy of the question I have asked on probably the wrong place:

Planning to purchase an Infrared Ceramic Emitter Heat Bulb as a backup for my heat plate. What power do you think I should aim for? I had 50w or 75w in mind, but not sure what to aim for. This is my setting:

signal-2023-03-04-173311_002.jpeg
signal-2023-03-04-173329_002.jpeg

I built the cage during our long lock down with whatever material I could find.

Thanks

H.

Your brooder is very small for that many chicks. Is the coop done? If so, I'd move them out to it now and brood them in there.
You don't need any more of a heat source than the brooder plate. Just make the front legs a little taller than the back legs and toss an old bath towel over the plate to make it cave-like with the opening at the front and they'll be fine.

Your brooder is very small for that many chicks. Is the coop done? If so, I'd move them out to it now and brood them in there.
You don't need any more of a heat source than the brooder plate. Just make the front legs a little taller than the back legs and toss an old bath towel over the plate to make it cave-like with the opening at the front and they'll be fine.
Thank you for your comment,
I know it is very small. I unexpectedly got a high success rate in the incubator this time round. I have put a piece of thick fabric over the heater from Day 1. It is the beginning of autumn here so not too bad for temperature at night. The coop has been done for a while, but it has no power going to it.
I take them out to a patch of grass to scratch whenever I can. They will go to the coop at 6 weeks (they are between 2 and 3 weeks old).
The original questions was about a backup system for the heater, as it would take weeks to get a replacement where I live.

Back
Top Bottom