Ceramic Nest Eggs

We used gold balls because my husband had some older ones in his golf bag he didn’t need anymore. I think they play kickball with them though when we aren’t looking because they are never in the same place twice.

This morning, most of the rocks had been moved out of the nesting boxes, and a few of them were missing!! What have my naughty chickens been up to?! Is this normal??

It's normal, chickens getting close to point of lay will explore the boxes and rearrange things to their liking (ok, they just kick things out).

Okay, so I hope this isn't hijacking the thread, but I placed done large oval stones in my nesting boxes yesterday (my eldest hens are almost 15 weeks but I have younger chicks and a whole range of cockerels in there too). This morning, most of the rocks had been moved out of the nesting boxes, and a few of them were missing!! What have my naughty chickens been up to?! Is this normal??

What do your nests look like? How high is the lip around them? Part of chicken exploration and even playing involves scratching. Do you need to raise the lip on the nests to stop them from easily scratching things out? Things like freshly laid eggs when they get to that point.

Back
Top Bottom