Certain breeds that will alert rest of flock of danger?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by coltsfoot, Aug 10, 2011.

1. coltsfoot

coltsfoot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    In my yard, the greatest threat during the day are hawks. Is there a certain breed of chicken - or any poultry for that matter - that is particularly attentive and will alert the other birds quickly if there is a hawk or other predator around?

Looking forward to hearing any input!

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Cant really say for sure, but my dutch roo and leghorn hen are the loudest when a hawk comes along...

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    giune hens and mostly any rooster will too

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Roosters

5. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I had one come in last week and the Swedish ducks were the first to sound the alarm.

6. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    My Guineas are highly alert & LOUD when they spot an aerial predator. (They can definitely differentiate between raptors and other birds.) They are so shrill that besides allowing the chickens & ducks plenty of time to take cover, the hawks seem to lose interest as their element of surprise is blown.

If you are in an urban/suburban area, Guineas are not a practical choice however. They really need to have space to roam & are very loquacious throughout the day. Unless you raise them with chickens, they tend to want to remain in the company of other guineas and the more, the merrier.

7. coltsfoot

coltsfoot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Cool thanks for the input. I think raising guineas with the chickens might be the way to go being that we can't do roosters...

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I think raising guineas with the chickens might be the way to go

Since you say you "can't do roosters", I'm guessing you're in town.

Guineas are MUCH louder than roosters, and tend to roam, so they aren't likely to stay anywhere near your chickens.

They fly quite well, and like to roost in trees, so don't count on them coming back to a coop to roost.

The facts are there are NO birds that are better at avoiding hawks than other birds​

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you can't do roosters, you certainly can't have guineas! They are MUCH louder than any rooster and more constant with their noise.

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    A little bantam roo like a Japanese bantam is not loud but is good for alerting the hens.And the little crow they have is so cute to...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by