Chain Link Chicken Coop (aka from dog pen to coop)

Apr 17, 2019
Florida ⭐️
So lots of people want/have chicken yet they aren’t gifted with the carpenter gift. So for those of y’all who are like that here is a simple chicken coop that involves zero wood.

First start out with how many chickens do you what? Or how many chickens do you have?

After that evaluate how big your coop would need to be keep in mind that full grown chickens need 3-4 sq feet per bird.
So after you’ve done all that math you can most likely find a dog kennel that will fit what you need to accommodate.

After you have decided on the size next is looking for the pen, unsure where to look? Try Craigslist, Facebook Market place or look at the local for sale board at you local feed store. It is silly pretty easy to find one, at least in my area it is.

So you have found you new coop! YAY! Now here is what you will need to finish your coop.

You will need: 1/2 inch wire to cover the bottom half of your coop, Chicken wire to burry around the bottom of the coop, 1/2 inch wire to cover the top of the coop (this wire is for where the opening at the top of your coop is for the roof) And lastly you will need a tarp for the roof. (I have applied some images below to show what I mean for the wire that you will need for the roof)

After you have gathered your supplies just zip tie that 1/2 inch wire to the bottom half of the pen then bury the chicken wire so no predators can dig under to get your girls (and boys possibly) throw that tarp on and your done!

For some other cute touches you can put mulch around the outside of the coop and plant Some cute plants if you aren’t planning on free ranging your flock.

Attachments

• AA6A14F1-8DF4-4CC4-91F8-0A2A59303D80.jpeg
    AA6A14F1-8DF4-4CC4-91F8-0A2A59303D80.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 130
  • 76A97422-2303-4A01-A00B-3380F5CD2EDF.jpeg
    76A97422-2303-4A01-A00B-3380F5CD2EDF.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 97
So lots of people want/have chicken yet they aren’t gifted with the carpenter gift. So for those of y’all who are like that here is a simple chicken coop that involves zero wood.

First start out with how many chickens do you what? Or how many chickens do you have?

After that evaluate how big your coop would need to be keep in mind that full grown chickens need 3-4 sq feet per bird.
So after you’ve done all that math you can most likely find a dog kennel that will fit what you need to accommodate.

After you have decided on the size next is looking for the pen, unsure where to look? Try Craigslist, Facebook Market place or look at the local for sale board at you local feed store. It is silly pretty easy to find one, at least in my area it is.

So you have found you new coop! YAY! Now here is what you will need to finish your coop.

You will need: 1/2 inch wire to cover the bottom half of your coop, Chicken wire to burry around the bottom of the coop, 1/2 inch wire to cover the top of the coop (this wire is for where the opening at the top of your coop is for the roof) And lastly you will need a tarp for the roof. (I have applied some images below to show what I mean for the wire that you will need for the roof)

After you have gathered your supplies just zip tie that 1/2 inch wire to the bottom half of the pen then bury the chicken wire so no predators can dig under to get your girls (and boys possibly) throw that tarp on and your done!

For some other cute touches you can put mulch around the outside of the coop and plant Some cute plants if you aren’t planning on free ranging your flock.

You read my mind!!! Thank You So much.
I have limited abilities (& funds) and have been struggling to figure out what I have to do to fix up the dog pen we already have (same size as yours) to make it comfortable & safe for my 2 girls... We live out in the woods in FL & I don’t want them to get eaten 😳, so I have been putting them out in the kennel during the day & carrying them inside into a XL dog kennel on the porch at night until I can make sure they’re safe outside! Also, due to “the swamp” when it’s raining I really didn’t want to use wood!
I was a bit stuck & feeling guilty for not figuring something out yet!
You made it super simple for me! :celebrate

Since this is basically an open air coop/run,
space needed would be more like 10-20sqft per bird.

And lastly you will need a tarp for the roof. (I have applied some images below to show what I mean for the wire that you will need for the roof)
Confused by pics...one looks to have a flat corrugated roof and the other a gable roof with tarp?

Are either of these coops actually yours?

Since this is basically an open air coop/run,
space needed would be more like 10-20sqft per bird.

Confused by pics...one looks to have a flat corrugated roof and the other a gable roof with tarp?

Are either of these coops actually yours?

Well this is just the “run“ part really so the sq ft per bird would stay the same. In one picture I am showing you the peaked roof and the other I am showing you the mulch ideas, the peaked roof is my friends coop while the mulch one is off of Pinterest.

Last edited:

We had a coop just like that! But I think that one is better.( the one in the picture)

Back
Top Bottom