Chain link dog kennel for chicken run enclosure ?

How we did our first one....36" hardware cloth around the three side of the run. Roof of PVC pipe and hardware cloth:

84140_img_0848.jpg
Hi georgiagail,
I've kept a copy of your photo for over a year, planning to try something like this for our add-on run. We have attached 3' of hardware cloth all around the bottom of our chain link panels, and we are going to cover the top 3' as well because of snakes, but we got stuck on how to attach the pieces of PVC pipe. I can't see in the photo what is holding your pipe on the top rails. Also are the chain link panels actually attached to the coop, or are they just snugged up against it? Do you have sand in the bottom of your run or is that a sandbox in the corner? Thank you for any advice you can give. Your run is is very nice!
Texas Tillie

We use Brace Rail Clamps to attach the PVC pipe to the top rail of the dog kennel. They can be found in the chain link fencing section of big box stores like Lowes; typically under $2 each. A 1/2 inch PVC pipe will fit into them. You attach them to the top rail with a socket wrench.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92603-16418...51615&pl=1&Ntt=chain+link+fencing+accessories

We attached the end of the chain link to the coop to prevent critters from getting in that way.

We use sand on the bottom of our runs. That box in the corner was our attempt to grow greens inside the run for the hens. It didn't last very long. Now I grow the greens in my outside garden and pick them and give them as treats.

I hope this helps....

Gail

I am needing something like a "doggy door" cut into the door of my dog run so I can just open it to let the chickens into the free range area without so many doves and other birds going in. Has anyone done this or can tell me how?

Thank you! I would love to see a closer picture of how the frame is done on the kennel. I'm one of those gotta see it, gotta touch it, learners. Thank you now I know it can be done.

This is a close up of how we did the "chunnel" and the hole in the chain link. Attached with long screws to coop/run on one side and fence framing on the other. Google "how to cut a chain link fence"--it's hard to explain but you need to not cut the vertical diamonds. Once you make the horizontal cuts, the vertical pieces just slide out.

Just wondering if you happen to know or have any step by step instructions on building your chicken run. Thanks so much for your time. Heidi from Montana

My chook run is a chain link dog kennel frame, with smaller gauge aviary mesh attached, but the door is the original door with the chain link on it. I'm expecting babies to hatch next week, so I need to improve the security of the door. I've attached the aviary mesh over the top of the chain link, so that's now fine not to let any "littlies" through, but there's still quite a gap around the door. I'm thinking to attach something flexible to cover that gap, but it needs to be relatively stable for the vertical sides. I was thinking plastic gutter guard https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-180mm-x-8-0m-black-plastic-gutter-guard_p3041095, but does anyone have any better ideas?

I am using an old shed as a coop and currently free ranging my chickens. Am looking at a Blue Hawk 10x10x6ft dog kennel to enclose them for safety after losing a few. Any suggestions how to connect it to the shed?

Back
Top Bottom