Chain link dog kennel for chicken run enclosure ?

Quote:
If you have chickens in there, grass won't grow through.

LOL Kaitie, the apron goes on the outside.

mcostas, Looks a lot like one of mine. I wasn`t so concerned about critters reaching through the bottom wire, because the fowl could see them in the daytime and at night they are locked up. My concern is coons, fox, coyotes, etc. digging under the sides, so I used some old plastic latice in 2X8 ft sheets to slide under the side panels. I staked them down so they wouldn`t move. I live in the woods on a mountain side and have never had a problem........Pop

Sorry, I was reading the floor for the run section of that sentence. I should have clarified.

Quote:
I have many of these 6 x 12 x 6 panels..... Moving them about will be very difficult because of their weight. And they are NOT impervious to predators. They need to be lined with hardware cloth around the base on exposed sides as well as anywhere the birds may perch or roost. I had a guinea loose a leg because something pulled it off through the fence about five feet off the ground. My bad for not having hardware cloth up.

I have an 8x10 powder coated dog kennel (with 2x4" openings) attached to the chicken house, and that has a 2' gopher wire apron on the ground around the outside, a 3' hardware cloth barrier from the ground up (and I'll tell you, at first I didn't have that hardware cloth extending over the spaces between the run door and panel, and a raccoon came out in the middle of the afternoon and nabbed one of the girls, who must have been snoozing or dust bathing right next to it, by the neck and decapitated her trying to pull her out... so now every inch of the bottom three feet is covered in hardware cloth), and it is covered with 1x1 welded wire fencing (and a tarp for the winter). Even so, I lock the girls up in their house at night.

I also just scored a free 7x20 chain link kennel on craigslist
celebrate.gif
, and plan to add that on with all of the same safety features for more space.

Quote:
Another weak link in the chainlink panels I have found is that often times they are fastened across the bottom and top with Aluminum wire. Its easy to work with but over time it work hardens and gets brittle. As I rework my coop setup (all kennel panels) I am replacing those aluminum wires with Galvanized safety wire.

I have one 7x12, I put a metal roof on it and wire under the bottom to stop diggers and 3 foot chicken wire around the bottom of the run. The coop sits in the run on cement blocks so the chickens also have acess to that ground and no place for rats to hide. It's really cool, some day I'll get my kids to teach me to do pics.

Quote:
To do pics look at the top of the screen that says Uploads Then just find the pics on your computer stored files choose an pic the after it loads up copy and paste the 2nd text bar in your post it turns into the pic good luck
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom