Chain link fence

We use it, but also add smaller poultry wire around the perimeter. If your run area is small, you will want to be sure that predators can't reach through and grab your birds. Keep perches and other places birds can sit away from the fencing to also keep predators from reaching in. We have issues with racoons, but the smaller wire around the linked fencing works well.

Yup, I have chainlink on one run (will be two once construction weather resumes). If you get heavier-gauge stuff (some these days is awful flimsy and dogs can rip it apart) and add something 1/2" mesh on the lower 2-3', it will be good. Obviously anything can climb *over* it, but it's no different than any other fence in that regard. The main thing I'd say potentially-against chainlink is that it is a little more aggravating to install than some other kinds of fencing -- it relies on strong tension and proper bracing of the whole fence, and some other idiosyncrasies involving stretcher bars and such. You can definitely install it yourself but you need to learn how not wing it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Yes I have a large chain link run, and I am adding another one this weekend to seperate my golden polish from my silvers
smile.png

Works fine on grown fowl. Younglings can run right through it, so keep that in mind.

It is indeed strong and will go a long way to pred proofing your chicken yard.

i just add a little chicken wire to the bottom about 2 feet up or so, so the chicks done escape. I also used the chain link for a fence, and then I have put on metal corregated roofing to keep everyone dry. They all seem to do well.

I have it on all of my runs and have not had a problem with it at all. But like said before it needs to be tight, but not to overly tight that if a branch or something hits it that it will not break or split the wire.

Chain link (or chain mesh as it's sometimes called) should be fine for the chickens, so long as the mesh is loose enough the chickens' can't get their heads stuck in it. Chickens aren't too awful intelligent so you should probably consider things like this. But you can always put it up with a layer of chicken wire around the bottom for extra safety. When we had chickens, this is what we did for the pen and it worked quite well.

http://www.chainmeshsecurityfencing.com.au/types-of-fences/chainmesh-fences/

Back
Top Bottom