Chain link kennel run ???

I don't have any pics right now, but I'm using a kennel for my run. Ran chicken wire along the bottom inside of it. Not too worried about daytime predators since my dogs have free run of the yard that it's in. (Chickens can't free range, we would lose one a day to hawks or dogs where we live....) The top is covered with plastic netting. I also have a plywood and tarp cover and sides over half of it. The coop is in the back, and I intend to lock them up at night.

My cornish X birds are in a non-covered, 4 ft high horse wire fence. Haven't had any issues with nighttime predators with the exception of one possum a few years ago (different set of birds.) I took a golf club to him and haven't seen him since. The hen only lost a few tail feathers.
wink.png
This pen has great tree cover, and I think that's why we haven't had any hawk issues. My neighbor lost several birds to a hawk with thier uncovered run before they covered it. It is a project of mine to eventually increase the size of this pen so I can increase my flock size and cover it.

I use dog kennels for coops, but since Im in Florida, I can get away with it. I cover the top with hardward cloth, and around the bottom of the chainlink about 3 feet high. Tarp over the top. They stay in there while Im at work, then when I come home I let them out into a much bigger yard. I love em.

here is my set-up. in the picture the kennel is 6' x 12' but since then i have bought another 6' x 12' kennel and turned my run into 12' x 18'.
40975_100_3516.jpg

I have 10x10x6 chain link fence attached to old horse stalls. Nests and roosts in stalls. I have standard chicken wire over the top of the run. It works GREAT!!! My nests are old cubbies that were being thrown away by a school--perfect size, and with some minor modifications work great.

Back
Top Bottom