Chain link runs? Pros and Cons?

10x10 kennel with suntuff roofing got it at home depot, very easy to work with and just found out when cleaning the snow off it"it slides right off"

I built my run of 6x12 and 6x6 chain link kennel sections I was fortunate enough to get for very low cost, and one side of the run is my chain link fence that runs around my entire yard, I was able to make a run 12x36 with an additional 12x6 next to the coop so it is quite large. I buried railroad ties flush with the ground and sat the kennel sections on top of them, I secured the kennel sections to the ties with cheap 1 1/4" conduit straps and lag bolts. I haven't messed with the hardware cloth yet as I haven't had a coon problem here ever, I did buy a roll of 2" square netting off Amazon for I believe around 30 dollars to keep hawks out and chickens in if they get flighty.

Thanks for the input! I think we have our basic foundation and kennel panel walls figured out, the roof is just our main concern right now. We were thinking of a roof structure that was not as heavy as the treated wood ones. We just weren't sure our kennel panels could hold that kind of weight. That is why were were thinking metal pipes. We just can't seem to find the right hardware etc... to make it all come together!

Thanks for the input! I think we have our basic foundation and kennel panel walls figured out, the roof is just our main concern right now. We were thinking of a roof structure that was not as heavy as the treated wood ones. We just weren't sure our kennel panels could hold that kind of weight. That is why were were thinking metal pipes. We just can't seem to find the right hardware etc... to make it all come together!

If I were to build a roof structure of metal framework I would start with thinwall metal electrical conduit, 3/4 or 1" depending on the required strength, I would bend it to the desired shape making as many as needed to span the kennel, then on the ends I would smash the pipe flat and bend it paratially around the kennel top rail either securing with wire or zip ties or possible with a self tapping screw through the smashed flat conduit and into the top rail of kennel. My run is under a canopy of trees so the birds don't really need additional shade so I don't worry about a roof I just have the netting

This is a great thread! We just bought a new house and it has three chain link dog runs, two of which I was wondering if I could convert into chicken paradise! The dogs runs are attached to a loafing shed, so with some modification I could turn the inside two kennels into a decent temporary coop until we can build a better one. Lucikly our chain link bottoms are burried and have railroad ties to anchor the ends in. I have some spare chicken wire and I'll wrap the bottom of the chain link. I'll lock them up at night, and find a way to make it so predators can't come in through the doggie doors too. We have cattle panels over the top of the runs, so I'm hoping that will be enough to keep the flying predators out. I'll talk some picture when I can.

Could you post more pictures? I am really interested in getting like a chain link run for my girls as they are making a mess on my back porch.

Back
Top Bottom