Chalk like poop

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
Since July my flock of silkies have been getting a strange illness. It started with a year old hen, she dropped off quick, first lethargic barely moving then dying within the 2nd day dead. I thought that was the end of it until 3 weeks later a year old rooster, showing different symptoms (yellow chalky poo) but still eating until HE died. I switched their coops and kept them separate from the rest of my chickens.
3-4 weeks later another year old hen, SHE held her wings strange and seemed unbalanced.
They had been better up until Monday
when a young (10 week) bantam died within 10 hours of me noticing he was lethargic. Now a young silkie ( probably 18 weeks) has chalky poop. I didn't notice the symptoms until yesterday. It's hard to say how long she has been ill due to the recent cold spell we got. Everyone has been a little slower. This silkie was raised with two brown sex links so she acts a little more spunky then my other silkies. But I am concerned about the 6 week chicks I have in there. I put them with the silkies this week thinking they were better. Now I may regret it.

Does anyone know what this could be or what I could do to fix this? Thank you!!

How bad are the mice in your area? I'm thinking it could be a possibility your birds may have Salmonella.

They can get it mice have been in their feed, or water leaving it contaminated.

I
How bad are the mice in your area? I'm thinking it could be a possibility your birds may have Salmonella.

They can get it mice have been in their feed, or water leaving it contaminated.
Not very many mice running around anymore, we have 3 outdoor cats for that purpose
Their outdoor feed does get damp in the rain sometimes, I usually remove the wet stuff and leave the dry in the feeder. Maybe it's still contaminated?
Thanks for the reply!!

Feed gets mold in it when it gets wet after a day or two. Mold poising is deadly. That might not be the cause of death, but I would make sure the feed is always under a cover for protection. In my experience if a couple of rain drops get into a large container of any kind of feed, you will find mold inside the can.

Feed gets mold in it when it gets wet after a day or two. Mold poising is deadly. That might not be the cause of death, but I would make sure the feed is always under a cover for protection. In my experience if a couple of rain drops get into a large container of any kind of feed, you will find mold inside the can.
Interesting, I will keep that in mind. Thank you!!

The hen that was sick did not die, however the illness is in my other flock now:hit
I was careful to not wear shoes that I wore in the sick chicken pen, into my other pen. But despite that, I am having larger issues now. One died yesterday, unfortunately I was not home and my brother buried her. So I couldn't take her in. Now, another is showing symptoms.:barnie
The symptoms kind of match Newcastle disease. But based off what I read, there's no cure? :hmm
My quarantine coop can't fit 26 chickens, what do I do to stop this? Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom