cravenchx

Songster
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Piedmont of NC
My brown eggs are coming with a white chalky substance
on really just half of the egg. What is this? I hope
it's not anything to be worried about.
One more question, stupid as it may be....
Does the small end of the egg come out before
the large end?
hide.gif

The chalky substance is most likely the bloom the hen applies to the eggs lastly. Mine lays in straw and if the bloom hasn't dried fast enough a small piece of the straw will be stuck to the eggs. It will even have a small stain from the straw color on it. If you've ever seen the eggs a hen sets on to hatch they are shinny as can be. She has rubbed the the outer cover off with her body.

The chalky substance is the bloom. I've found that you'll see more bloom on eggs from pullets. Eggs come out damp and quickly dry. As they dry they'll look a tad shinier. The bloom is just one part of the complicated system that keeps eggs from getting bacterial infections. You can read more here:
http://www.hencam.com/henblog/handling-and-storing-eggs/

I need to correct myself here! The chalky stuff is just another variation of the shell. Supermarket eggs don't look like that because the chickens are selectively bred not to lay like that and if there are variations, they're not sold as shell eggs. I have two hens who lay eggs that look chalky. Nothing wrong with them for a backyard flock. The bloom is a viscous, protein-rich fluid which is put on just before the egg is laid. It's what looks wet when the egg is first laid. It dries almost immediately.

Also eggs from the grocery have been washed so I would gather anything on them has been washed off. That's why they have to be refrigerated. Once they've been washed the egg can get bacteria inside. Then refrigeration is it's only protection The bloom is gone. Anybody disagree?
smile.png

You're right about the bloom being washed off. But, the bloom is only the first line of defense that the egg has to prevent infection. Egg whites are actually antimicrobial! What's really interesting is that chickens from commercial production facilities have fewer of the other protections as well. I've written about that here: http://www.hencam.com/henblog/handling-and-storing-eggs/
Even with our healthy, homegrown eggs, it's best to refrigerate them. Most of us live in warm, dry houses. A refrigerator is a much better place for them.

Back
Top Bottom