Chance of hatching a chicken that lays a BLUE egg from non blue eggs?

undergroundchickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Utah
I ordered Ameraucana eggs from a place that sells blue and black "pure" Ameraucanas. The site touted how "sky" blue the eggs were.
wee.gif

I was a bit disappointed when I opened the eggs when they arrived. 3 of them were a green.... C6 on the egg color reference chart from the Ameraucanas Breeders Club. I already have two EE's that lay me green eggs. The other two are like a white with a grayish tinge like a lighter d7 on the scale. My kids say they are white.
he.gif

What are my chances that if I am able to hatch these 4 eggs that one of the babies could lay a more true blue egg (if I get a hen)? I want that blue egg SOOOO BAD that I am debating on purchasing some more eggs that are more blue from a different source and be sure to tell the seller I want "BLUE" eggs. Do the babies lay the same color as the Momma or could they pick up a more blue gene from the Father if he has it in there?

If chances are bad I need to get me some real blue eggs ordered ASAP.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Last edited:
Quote:
can you show a photo of the eggs? My Ameracauna eggs are very blue??? Almost white would concern me a tad :-( Sorry

I wouldn't be to happy about them selling them as blue an you getting green. If the egg color is all you are after then just breed your green egg layers to a leghorn. Blue collor is the addition that the the Ameraucanas or EEs add to the gene pool.. They still have the white, creme, brown, or chocolate gene too. Chickens with the white shell gene an the blue shell gene get blue shells. If you breed a white egg roo (white ear lobes) to some of your green egg layers you will get mutt chickens that lay all shades of blue an green eggs. The bright blue ones will show up too.

Well here is a picture. I have to say the colors of the eggs in the front are close to how they look in person (light grayish/white?) but the eggs that are green in person actually look blue in the picture. Not sure how that happened?. They do not look blue in person and match the c6 card color exactly in person.
hu.gif
Maybe I will just imagine them being blue in real life like in the picture.
lau.gif

EGGS.jpg

Quote:
I wish I could have a rooster and a lot of babies. I am all ready illegal and pushing it as it is. Good to know that is possible though for future reference. Thank you.

Quote:
Ok If I ordered Ameracauna eggs I would be very dissappointed in those front pictured eggs...they look white white to me from the photo-I understand that colors do fade as the laying season progresses but thats a bit much? the back two eggs do look like ameracauna eggs-faded a tad but color wise they are blueish green

Quote:
Ok If I ordered Ameracauna eggs I would be very dissappointed in those front pictured eggs...they look white white to me from the photo-I understand that colors do fade as the laying season progresses but thats a bit much? the back two eggs do look like ameracauna eggs-faded a tad but color wise they are blueish green

So do I have a chance of getting a blue egg layer from the two colored eggs? They really are much more sea foam green in person than the picture shows.
hu.gif

I would expect about the same egg color from the babys of all 4 eggs as those eggs are. That being said, there is no way of knowing what gene combination the rooster they used is carrying. They could lay eggs of almost any color, including bright blue. The eggs that look green were layed by a hen with the brown egg gene so even if the roo does not have that gene half of the babys will have the brown egg gene. So they will lay ether a brown or green egg. The real light blue eggs have a better chance of producing baby's with blue eggs.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate all of your opinions. I sure hope to get one that is at least a close to blue layer.
wink.png
I guess I should be hoping for a hen out of them before worry about egg color. With my luck I will get all males and have to try again.
fl.gif

Thanks again. I love BYC!
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom