CAN YOU HATCH THE SMALL EGGS WHEN A HEN STARTS LAYING

Alexxxdimmm

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2023
When a hen begins laying its first eggs they are noticeably small.
The roosters are around so the eggs are fertilized.
If I incubate these smaller eggs as normal, will chicks hatch, will there be anything different with the babies or as they grow?
Does anyone have any experience or info on this?
PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER IF YOU DO NOT HAVE EXPERIENCE OR DO NOT KNOW.
I have to put this because people respond with speculations about what they think or their guesses and I am looking for actual information from people with more experience than myself.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE HATCHED THESE SMALLER FIRST EGGS.

It's not advisable. Pullet eggs are often too small and cause malposition and are often wierd. Wait until the hens have been laying for a few months.
Have you check the yolks for the bullseye?
Can you? Yes. Should you? No, not really.

It's not advisable. Pullet eggs are often too small and cause malposition and are often wierd. Wait until the hens have been laying for a few months.
Have you check the yolks for the bullseye?
Can you? Yes. Should you? No, not really.
I appreciate your response, and it was a "should I" not a "could I" question despite not forming it as such. So if you would give a follow up, have you attempted this and did it result in any of them hatching? And are you saying they would not develop to where they hatch, or they are weak and small and unhealthy if and when they do hatch, or they won't even develop to that point? I don't doubt anything you said, I suspected it would be best to wait. My birds have been pretty decimated by a coyote problem I had so I was hot to get started on incubating and this hen just started laying about 2 weeks ago and I have so few other layers that i can incubate rn. Also I have a small incubator that only does 6 or 7 eggs. So I was curious what the "chicken community" knew about this. That said, could/would aside, have you tried it, and had any success or is whole thing afools errand? meaning, any hatching, any success? what do you think? I really appreciate your feedback. thanks.

Im curious how small are they? I have had new hens lay some pretty small eggs. No I have never hatched small eggs. Like 1 or 1.25 inch long. I would not bother.

I appreciate your response, and it was a "should I" not a "could I" question despite not forming it as such. So if you would give a follow up, have you attempted this and did it result in any of them hatching? And are you saying they would not develop to where they hatch, or they are weak and small and unhealthy if and when they do hatch, or they won't even develop to that point?
Both, either they don't quit make it to hatch or they don't do well afterwards.
There's always exceptions but that's typically what happens.
Not quite sickly but runty, runty hens can have problems laying. The organs generally make normal sized eggs eventually but the small pelvic area can mean a slow and painful death.
Sorry about your flock, that's always rough.

Both, either they don't quit make it to hatch or they don't do well afterwards.
There's always exceptions but that's typically what happens.
Not quite sickly but runty, runty hens can have problems laying. The organs generally make normal sized eggs eventually but the small pelvic area can mean a slow and painful death.
Sorry about your flock, that's always rough.
yeah, the baby chick even if perfect, would be approx 60% of the size of a healthy one that hatched which is why I was doubtful it would hatch. I guess ill just make an egg sandwich and wait a couple months. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom