1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chances of Lavander from egg

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Andi, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay. I'm a bit freaked out by all the potential diseases that can be accidentally brought into my tiny flock of 4 girls just from bringing in birds post hatch. From what I understand, getting eggs is the safer way to go. So now I'm considering buying some eggs from a breeder. I have a mixed flock and the only breed that I originally really wanted and ended up not getting is an Orpington (because of thinning out the numbers before I could tell which were boys and which were girls) and getting too many roos (which I can't have). In the end I want 1 Buff Orpington hen and 1 Lavender Orpington hen to add to my girls. Getting a buff from an egg shouldn't be a problem, I think. The lavender is more questionable. I also haven't noticed anyone on here that is advertising in the breeders list as breeding them. I don't want to end up with a blue or a splash. Should I just bite it and get a lavender pullet if that's what I really want?

I'm thinking I'm being unrealistic and naive maybe, so help me out.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

yup! just buy one!

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Even if you have to shell out for one and quarentine it in your basement, it would likely be a better deal than buying eggs. I understand that lav orp eggs are expensive, and then you have to hatch them! Then you feed them and care for them until you can sex them. Then you have to get rid of the boys, which is really hard unless you offer a pullet to go with each of them! I used to think that eggs were the economical way to go, but I've decided that in the long run, it's not.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Not everyone bothers with the breeders list, however most will list in the BSA section when they have something available. I have seen lav eggs offered in BSA. You just want to keep in mind that they are still in development. I don't offer mine up much because I am diligently working on breed conformation and am putting the finishing touches on mine this year. I wish you were closer, as I have extra hens who need a home. Good luck in your search.

5. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the wisdom of your experiences and the time for responding.

Yes, its too bad there isn't anyone in my area working on lavenders. I'm not interested in show or breeding quality. Seeing roosters are out of the question where I live, I couldn't even if I wanted to. I just have a thing about gray animals and prefer the look of a solid color over a more or less 2 tone, like the blues are. (I love gray greyhounds and Russian Blue cats also.) I would be a great candidate for someone to making a few bucks off of and find a home for a less than goal pullet. Haha. I wouldn't even know a quality chicken if I saw one. [​IMG]

Well, I've got a few months to think about it. Maybe if I did go with a couple pullets instead it would be easier to introduce them to the girls I already have. Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'm being too paranoid about introducing disease. People introduce adult birds to their flocks all the time. Its still scary. I just don't want to bring harm to my girls. [​IMG]

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by