Chances of random viral respiratory infection that isn't MG or Coryza?

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
Three times in the past three years (before I knew what was going on) I had noted one or two hens with a swollen eye, and after a few weeks they were back to normal. At the time I thought they were eye injuries. From my understanding with MG or coryza, the entire flock would have likely been sick within a week or two, but that's never been the case. This week I have something like six birds out of 25 with either or both rattling breathing and at least one swollen eye. There is no pus, no major discharge, no odor. Only one young cockerel is acting a little more lethargic, but he has the rattling breathing with no eye swelling. I'm sure many of my East Coast friends have experienced the rain and humidity from Ida. The humidity inside and outside of the coop has been up to 85% and it has rained at least a little (and sometimes a lot) every day since Saturday. I feel the excess humidity is at least somewhat the cause of all of this. Anyways, it just got me wondering, how frequently do relatively harmless viral outbreaks occur? I've already deciding to not cull my flock unless I lose a bird to this and have a confirmed necropsy completed. I just don't feel any of the symptoms are completely in line with more serious outbreaks.

And before anyone comments on ventilation, I have more than adequate ventilation; that is not the cause of the humidity.

What's the ammonia level in your coop?

Excess Ammonia can cause respiratory, & issues.
Next to non-existent. I scoop all droppings daily and the coop is 200 sq feet for 25 chickens and 3 10-week old guinea fowl, which are also outside during the day. Guineas also poop on a poop board. I performed a deep cleaning and replaced all litter material about 5-6 weeks ago as well. And one wall is roughly 11 feet tall sloping to a 8' wall on the other side. All open rafters with three large windows open and an exhaust fan which runs 24/7.

Actually, five of the hens were in a broody jail starting Sunday, so it's technically been 20 chickens and 3 guineas in that coop.

Next to non-existent. I scoop all droppings daily and the coop is 200 sq feet for 25 chickens and 3 10-week old guinea fowl, which are also outside during the day. Guineas also poop on a poop board. I performed a deep cleaning and replaced all litter material about 5-6 weeks ago as well. And one wall is roughly 11 feet tall sloping to a 8' wall on the other side. All open rafters with three large windows open and an exhaust fan which runs 24/7.

Actually, five of the hens were in a broody jail starting Sunday, so it's technically been 20 chickens and 3 guineas in that coop.
Okay, ammonia isn't the issue then. Had to rule that out.

Okay, ammonia isn't the issue then. Had to rule that out.
I can't let go of the idea that it's the humidity and dampness. And the dumb birds stand there in the rain getting soaked which probably makes the humidity higher in the coop than what's normal at night time. BUT I don't have any evidence that humidity can cause respiratory issues to this degree, and I feel like surely humidity has been this high before during my time of chicken keeping. I also can't let go of the idea that this isn't *too* serious, although I can't help but to be worried anyways. Not sure what to do to help them, moving forward.

I can't let go of the idea that it's the humidity and dampness. And the dumb birds stand there in the rain getting soaked which probably makes the humidity higher in the coop than what's normal at night time. BUT I don't have any evidence that humidity can cause respiratory issues to this degree, and I feel like surely humidity has been this high before during my time of chicken keeping. I also can't let go of the idea that this isn't *too* serious, although I can't help but to be worried anyways. Not sure what to do to help them, moving forward.
Is there any chance there's mold, or some other fungus spores around, or in the coop?

Also how has the air quality been in your area?

I have been known to get a few sneezing and hacking after a week of high dust or sand in the air. clears back up after the air settles or it rains.

Also how has the air quality been in your area?

I have been known to get a few sneezing and hacking after a week of high dust or sand in the air. clears back up after the air settles or it rains.
Today air quality index is "moderate" but I haven't checked consistently, the few times I do check it can be good bad or moderate, so it definitely fluctuates. With all the rain, dust wouldn't be much of a concern. We are low risk for fire, however fall pollen season is ramping up.

Back
Top Bottom