divineangel94

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
This has been going on for a year. When she’s standing and during the day she is fine. They all have been on tylan for mycoplasma. For a few years. She is seven, not laying eggs. She has been confirmed to be done for good. During the day she eats, chases, treats and is her feisty self.

Only at night, when she lays down, she has difficulty breathing. Where she sticks her head up. She also has some sneezing issues.

But during the day, she eats, drinks, runs, bosses the others around, and is her crazy lovable self. I’ve given her Tylan, been giving vet rx, cleaned the coop thoroughly. Their coop changed to a metal shed with no flooring but dirt and bedding when I moved. Yes I plan on switching. But we have been getting constant rain which was leaking until I fixed it. I bought new food and water things just in case and have been adding ACV just for good measure.

I have checked her booty, which is normal. Crop works normally. Face, waddles, and crown are not swollen and are normal color. Inside of mouth looks normal.

I’ve read the chicken health handbook and the only one that fits the “schedule” of the breathing issues is IB. But the others don’t have the same symptoms. They are all the seven. I even still have two consistent layers. Is there something that mimics IB? They’re pets so I will never euthanize just simply because they have a virus. Please help.

This is a photo I took of her yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpeg
    IMG_2413.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 17
Hi there, sorry to hear about your girl. I would first think being on the tylan this long would no longer be beneficial as they have built a tolerance to it. If anything I would switch the antibiotics to something different. Even if it’s tylodox special and maybe just try it with her. It’s a bit different spin on the antibiotic spectrum and is for upper respiratory specifically. If you send me a pm I can offer assistance with that. Now for the symptoms if you just want to know a more detailed description of exactly what could be going on you can contact a company called zoologix and they have instructions for how you can send in a trachea swab and run I think it’s a 6 panel upper respiratory disease check, you already know about the myco but they might can identify the secondary infection. It’s ran by PCR testing and their website explains what exactly that means. It’s by far the best way to diagnose as it identifies the primary source based on the DNA of the specific species and then you would be able to treat accordingly and not guess. I’m not sure though if it does not fall into any of the categories what they do or say but it’s simple to do. It’s 3 qtip swabs in their trachea. Very simple and you can over night it to them. In the meantime I would keep giving her vet Rx in the mouth at night and under her wing and on her head and comb . If you can get some oxine and the activator which citric acid is the activator and use a fogger there is actually a fogger a Walmart for 35.00 that’s not to bad but in a pinch you can use a defuser like the kind you put oils in to make your home smell good or a breathing treatment mask . This stuff works miracles. Pay attention though because the amount you mix for cleaning the coop is different almost half of what you do for them to breath in. You can actually do this to the entire flock and in 2 days you will have positive results. It’s part of My normal routine now. Not sick birds but as a preventative. It can go in their water too not activated. It is such a good product to have.

Back
Top Bottom