Chances of this rabbit being pregnant?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I purchased a pair of rabbits that were said to be 4-5 months old, they were housed with other rabbits of the same age.

What are the chances of a female rabbit 4-5 months old, housed with a male of the same age, of being pregnant? She was very firm around the abdomen, where my other older does are "squishy".

If she may be pregnant, do I just watch for her to pull hair before giving her a nestbox?

We were going to wait until she was older to breed her, but the person I bought them from had them together and didn't seem quite too sure of an age. He looked at them and went "hmm... I would say they are around 4-5 months old".
hu.gif

It's very possible. A lot of rabbits will hit sexual maturity around that age. If you know how to palpate, I'd try it every couple of days for the next two weeks. If you THINK you feel something, or if you're in doubt, go ahead and give her a nestbox. Better safe than sorry.

Well considering he really didn't know how old they were, then I would say yes, there is a good chance! It won't hurt to give her a box, just in case, though you might have to keep an eye on it. Some will use it almost as a litter box if they get one too early, but since you have no idea if and when she is due, better safe than sorry.

Usually they will start carry their straw around frantically building a nest a day or two before they deliver.

I agree with vicki2x2.
Whenever I purchase a doe that her bred status is in question, I always give a nestbox with hay.
I check it often to make sure she is not using it as a litterbox, and watch for her to start digging and carrying the hay in her mouth. A lot of my does will take all the hay out of the box and then put it back in, several times in order to get it just right. Of course most of it falls through the bottom of the cage, so I have to add more until she gets her nest the way she wants it.

Good luck...and a lot of breeds are ready to breed at 6 months old, so you may have a head start on your breeding program.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom