Change in behavior / Aggressive hen

HarpersHarbor21

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
I had a quick question about chicken bullying and aggression. I was wondering if anyone has ever witnessed an increase in aggression from a dominant hen / head hen when she was sick, injured, or in pain? And does it seem logical to think the bird closest to her would either feed off the aggression and / or act protective of her? I ask because my head hen, Val, and her best buddy, Clara, have turned into the chicken version of mean girls. 😞 Both are merciless towards our other three girls. Izumi (rock bottom of the pecking order) and Winnie (oldest hen) are the common victims. But our other young hen, Sasha, has been attacked as well. Val has an injury, and I was curious if the recent change in behavior is due to her maybe being in pain? Could this also be space related? Or is this something normal that will go away once the pecking order is re-established? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

I've noticed that when my hens are molting, they are more likely to be aggressive to flock members. So yes, I believe discomfort plays a part in aggressive behavior.
If you could pen the bullies seperate (from the flock and each other)for a few days, the rest of your girls could get some respite.
When you reintroduce the mean girls, I've no doubt that they will work their way back up the pecking order, but maybe they won't be quite so aggressive about it this time. They'll have to deal with each other, as well as, the other flock members.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom