Change in # of eggs and one hen acting strangely today.

chattykathy306

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 6, 2012
I have six hens who have been laying faithfully, 4-6 eggs/day. Yesterday, there were none! I just went out and found 5 eggs today, however. I know that it is my Welsummer who has not laid yesterday or today, because her dark eggs are so identifiable. She has been sitting in the nesting box for a long time today. Now, she is off the nest, but kind of hunkered down inside the coop, very quiet and appears to be sleeping. Is this a sign of trouble or is this "broody" behavior or the start of molting? If she doesn't look better by evening, I may try to get her out and check her over. Please help! I am quite worried.

I think you are right to be concerned. If she wanted to be broody, she'd just stay on the nest. The posture you're describing is a red flag.

I would be worried about her getting egg bound, although there are any number of things that could be going on. I had a hen that acted that way and I thought she was egg bound but it turned out to be impacted crop [didn't figure that out until she passed a very visible long string of hay]. Luckily, what I did for her worked. :) This is it: http://hencam.com/faq/the-spa-treatment/

Do you actually put the chicken into tub of water? I need more direction. I know it must sound funny, but.....I am a nurse, but just don't know how to deal with this. I really appreciate any help. I tried to get some maple syrup water into her, without success. Any tips on opening the beak. Also how much oil and epsom water can I give?

My next step will be to check her vent. I have never even seen the vent on any of my chickens since they were newly hatched and I was checking for pasting. Not even sure where exactly it is in that mess of feathers! I'm sure I can find it.
hmm.png
Thanks!

My next step will be to check her vent. I have never even seen the vent on any of my chickens since they were newly hatched and I was checking for pasting. Not even sure where exactly it is in that mess of feathers! I'm sure I can find it.
hmm.png
Thanks!
  • Examining the vent should be your first step. Think OB exam
    big_smile.png
    !
  • If you find and egg, give calcium and squirt some KY Jelly into her vent, place her in a warm dark spot and wait a few hours.
  • If egg is still stuck, try the warm bath or steam treatment. I'm lazy, so I crank up the water heater to high, then fill my bathroom with steam and leave the bird in there, just because I don't want to hold her in the tub or sink.

FYI, be very gentle during the exam, if there is a soft-shelled or shell-less egg, you don't want to break it.

Also, I don't recommend giving oil orally as aspiration of oil can cause lipoid pneumonia, which would most likely result in death, just ask your Dr. friends.

Well, I am kind of weepy right now. I don't think she will make it. I just brought her into the house to examine her. She was sounding a bit "gurgly" and small amounts of bloody fluid were dripping from her beak. I just put her into the pet crate and turned on the shower to create steam. Even though I think she will probably die, it may be a comfort measure. Wish someone was here with me, especially one of you "chicken experts." We just lost a kitty several months ago too, so this is getting to me. Seems the older I get, the wimpier I become. If there are any more ideas out there, I welcome them. Otherwise, my Penny is probably not going to make it.

If she indeed dies, should I take any measures to protect the others, in case it is something contagious?

Back
Top Bottom