Change in rooster behavior after rehoming part of flock

jrichter67

Chirping
Sep 28, 2020
Western WA
Hello! Until a couple of days ago, I had a flock of 13 birds total including my rooster. I rehomed 5 hens that were problematic (overly aggressive production reds) to create peace in the flock. Even though I know it was a good thing for the flock, I am sure it has been stressful as the remaining hens and one rooster get used to a smaller flock dynamic. What caught me off guard though was a personality change in my rooster. He has always been great, I never had to worry about being attacked and I have never seen him peck his hens. Today though when I took treats in for the girls he started pecking on the girls heads, I have never seen him do this before. He has always been a gentleman and let them eat first, today it seemed like he wanted to run them away from the treats.

After they girls were done and I took away the treat bowl, he attacked me when I stood up with the bowl. I have had this rooster for 5 months, he has been an excellent protector of the flock when in their uncovered run and free ranging. He has never shown aggression towards me, we have always respected each others space when I enter then run. This took me a bit by surprise today and I don't know what my next actions should be with him. Should I be correcting him and showing dominance or accepting that he is stressed over the change in flock and let it be for a bit? I have read so much conflicting information around showing dominance that I thought I would come and ask some experts. I will definitely be watching my posture from now on when I enter the run and reducing eye contact. If it helps, he is now a year old, so I have had him through his adolescent months already and this is the first aggression I have witnessed from him.

Thank you in advance for any insight or advice!

Aggression can appear in a rooster at any time, but usually between between 3 months and a year. In case it is stress related, give him some time, but if he shows aggression for more than a week I would try asserting dominance. If that doesn't seem to work I would get rid of him. I breed against aggressiveness, and cull all aggressive birds.

Aggression can appear in a rooster at any time, but usually between between 3 months and a year. In case it is stress related, give him some time, but if he shows aggression for more than a week I would try asserting dominance. If that doesn't seem to work I would get rid of him. I breed against aggressiveness, and cull all aggressive birds.
So it may just be a coincidence that this came up now. I feel comfortable giving him some time and space and see what happens. Also if it helps, he is a Buff Orpington.

Should I be correcting him and showing dominance or accepting that he is stressed over the change in flock and let it be for a bit?
I wouldn't try to 'correct it' but I would spend more time in the run,
just causally and calmly passing thru until he settles down.
How does he act when you are outside the run?
Might spend some time sitting there too.

I wouldn't try to 'correct it' but I would spend more time in the run,
just causally and calmly passing thru until he settles down.
How does he act when you are outside the run?
Might spend some time sitting there too.
Good advice and thank you! He is totally fine when I am outside the run. In fact sometimes I feel like he is trying to prove to me that he is a good caretaker of the flock because when I walk up to the run he comes running with the rest of the girls, starts chortling and picking up things "food" on the ground and showing them to the girls.

Back
Top Bottom