Change in Roosting Schedule

NotaZoo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
For the past week I have noticed a difference in my flock's roosting pattern. They get on the roost at about 6:30 PM EST but it isn't getting dark until a little after7.Then in the morning, at 7:30 AM none of them are off the roost and the aren't coming down even during feeding. There are 4 hens and one rooster. I have noticed lately that the ladies have been running away from the Roo and tend to go back up on the roost if he is in pursuit. Everyone appears healthy and we have checked the coop for snakes. I have had this group for three years and this is the first time I have seen any change. Anyone have any ideas?

My Ru can be quite amorous in the mornings... could it be that your girls are getting to the age where they don't desire your boy's attention as much as they used to and roosting is an easy way to avoid his advances?

These are my first hens so I am not sure. They are just a little over three years old? When does this normally begin to happen?

Thanks

Mine have been going to roost sooner before sunset lately too.

I agree that your hens are just avoiding your rooster.
Surprised you have not had trouble with that roo to hen ratio before.

The older hens may be molting and not interested in mating...or they may be shutting down egg production for winter and are not interested in mating. I would think that your roo should sense this and leave them alone. If he continues to harass them to where they cannot eat drink relax, might be time for some Rooster N Noodles.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, I will keep an eye on them. What is a good hen to roo ratio?

Thank you for your help, I will keep an eye on them. What is a good hen to roo ratio?
Well, if that ratio has worked ok in your flock for 3 years, then that's the ratio that works for your flock...until it doesn't anymore and you might have to make some changes.

There are many variables to the roo:hen ratio and each keeper has to decide how they want to manage that and depends on your goals.

ETA.. 1:10 is often cited, but that is a commercial hatching operation ratio based on fertility.
Many serious breeders keep pairs, trios and quads in smaller pens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom