Change in temp after adding eggs.

favoritekitty

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
We started our Little Giant fanned incubator 3 days ago and got it to the correct temp and humidity. (99.5/46%) It was pretty stable within a half degree or two. Now that we added our eggs this afternoon the temp obviously went down because we put the eggs in. It has been about 3 hours since we put the eggs in and the temp is only at 98.6. It has been here for a while so Im assuming its staying there?

Im afraid to tweak it because that darn teenie knob is so small! Should I try to increase the temperature or leave it a while longer? With eggs in there is it going to keep the temp that far down now?

Also, keeping thesse eggs on a small metal, ueven grid is insane! We came up with all kinds of ideas on how to keep the eggs in the positions we put them in but I dont know if I can do any of them. We are going to turn then 3X daily. Is there anything we can put under them to keep them stable?

Try a wash cloth or little hand towel. Or if you're really fancy you can get that stuff you put in drawers to keep stuff from rolling around. It comes in all colors, and it also has little holes in it so the eggs can breath better.
big_smile.png

I let my incubator sit unopened for about 24 hours after I first put the eggs in. The temp got back to 99.5 without any problem, but you have to let the mass of the eggs get to that temp., too, and it takes time. If it doesn't get back to temp after 24 hours, tweak it a hair.
Good luck - sounds like we'll be hatching around the same time!

lol.png
Ditto on the NON-STICK drawer liner,....the bumpy kind. Its a breeze to clean ...or to throw away when you're done if an egg explodes on it...or so i hear lol.
lol.png

Once you pre set your incubator and get the temp where it's supposed to be for the incubation, you DO NOT adjust the thermostat. It takes the eggs SEVERAL hours to come up to the incubator temp. That's why you get it right before adding eggs to it. If you adjust the temp, it will be to hot once the eggs reach temp.

i have the lg's and leave the temp alone for 24hours after you set eggs. and you can take cardboard egg cartons and cut the top off and cut a dime size hole in each egg slot and just tilt the carton to 30 deg 5 times a day for turning, and that will keep the eggs from moving around in bator and you can get about 45 eggs in the bator that way. this is how i do my bators that i do not have turners in

I want to make sure im correct. a still air LG should be around 99.5- 101.5 but its best to keep it at 101 at the height where the center of the egg would be
Is this correct

Back
Top Bottom