Change Of Food Protein %

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Adopted Chickenman, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Chirping

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    [​IMG] This is most likely a repeat of a common question but since this is my first time raising chickens, I need some help. I have read various books on raising chickens but I have no difinitive answer. By the way, my girls are 16 weeks old as of 12 July. When should I change my food protein percentage from grower/finnisher (15%) to layer (16%)? I get my feed from TSC and they carry two types; Dumor in three stages and Purina in two stages. Since my girls were three days old, I have been using the Dumor brand. Presently, I am on the second stage grower/finnisher. The directions say to keep your birds on this product until 18 weeks, then switch to the next and final stage. On the other hand, Purina tells you to use stage one until 16 weeks and then switch to the second stage (Layena). I am so confused. It seems that my girls are ready for something larger than what I preceive to be crumbles or smaller feed of stage two. I really think it is time for pellets. I was told not to rush the 16% feed because the added protein will bring the chicken into an early egg cycle and their bodies would not be grown enough to properly lay. Any truth or suggestions. I know I can wait for two more weeks, but I don't want my girls to go underfed eventhough they have plenty of food available. Any and all comments are welcome..Thanks

2. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I feed my babies the medicated feed which is 18% protein until they where about 10 weeks old. I put them out with the rest of the flock and put everyone on a mix of game bird feed 22% protein and flock raiser which is 16% protein then offered the layers free choice egg shells this is what worked for me. They are all on this the babies have just started to lay so I will switch to a layer feed and the game bird feed mix. I would worry more about to much calcium which is what is in the layer feed then the protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by