Change over to nonmedicated feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chemguy, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Hi All,

My 4-week old chicks have been on medicated starter since day 1. I've seen no sign of cocci, but my wallet is certainly getting a bit pale and droopy from trips to buy 5 lb., $5 bags of feed. I'd buy in larger quantities, but they just aren't available anywhere I can find. Now that they're eating a lot more than before, I wonder if it's OK to switch them over to nonmedicated feed. Any experience/advice?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Go for it. I had one batch of chicks that started on Grower as day olds and never had anything else until they switched to layer feed at 20 weeks. They were fine.

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Hi! We grew up in Clark Co. My husband and I about 1/2 hour apart so not much in that area that we don't know! Where are you? Have you tried Clark landmark? One in Spfld, S Charleston, etc. A lot of times they will order for you. I switched mine over about 8 weeks to non medicated w/out problems. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I would agree there is no reason you can't feed non medicated to them it's pretty much a personal choice if you medicate or not. Mine are on non medicated starter for the littles and grower for the olders.

5. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    It is probably better that they have had a chance to be exposed to coccidiosis while on medicated feed to build up their immunity. Have they been outside yet? If they have only ever been in the brooder and on wood shavings I'd keep them on the medicated feed and give them a bit of day time in an enclosed area outside if you can.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I agree!! Get them on the ground first or all the money you've already spent is compleltly wasted!!

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Thanks everyone! I'll move them outside and keep them on medicated feed for a while. Makes perfect sense.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    $1 a pound for medicated chick starter??! You are being stiffed my friend. I bought a 50lb bag for $12.95 at a local feed store, and I am sure I could have done better if I wanted to do a search around for it.
    Look around. Perhaps others here could help you find a decent place to buy your feed, and in the meanwhile avoid those $1 a pound people like the plague.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by