Changing a Goose Nesting Spot

imagatto2

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
Myrtle Beach, SC
I have a female Chinese goose, Winnie, that is laying eggs now. She chose a piece of ductwork outside near a creek that goes through our property to build a nest. I tried to divert her attention and I put a ton of hay and bedding in her night box where her and Walter (male Grey Chinese) sleep. Not interested. Walter and Winnie's night box was built inside the chicken coop (a coop inside a coop next to the chicken coop so doubly secure). The chickens are in and out all day so I understand why she may not want to lay in there. So I have a smaller tractor run outside that is secure. I put a bin in there with lots of bedding. Not interested. Now what? I'd like her to have goslings but she can't stay outside at night where she has chosen to build a nest. Do I build another coop outside where she has chosen (that would have to be on stilts because she's right by the water -- is that even okay?) so I can secure them at night? She hasn't gone broody but I expect it very soon so I want to be prepared. She can't stay where she is at night.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Peg

I have a female Chinese goose, Winnie, that is laying eggs now. She chose a piece of ductwork outside near a creek that goes through our property to build a nest. I tried to divert her attention and I put a ton of hay and bedding in her night box where her and Walter (male Grey Chinese) sleep. Not interested. Walter and Winnie's night box was built inside the chicken coop (a coop inside a coop next to the chicken coop so doubly secure). The chickens are in and out all day so I understand why she may not want to lay in there. So I have a smaller tractor run outside that is secure. I put a bin in there with lots of bedding. Not interested. Now what? I'd like her to have goslings but she can't stay outside at night where she has chosen to build a nest. Do I build another coop outside where she has chosen (that would have to be on stilts because she's right by the water -- is that even okay?) so I can secure them at night? She hasn't gone broody but I expect it very soon so I want to be prepared. She can't stay where she is at night.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Peg
I would try putting a small hut where her nest is but don’t make it fancy cause she may move when you put it there

Add some dry leaves to the nets you made her in the night box, lay what eggs she’s laid so far in there where she can see them to give her the idea, you may try not letting her out of there for a day if that’s possible, if she’s forced to lay there she may continue too.

Geese seem to like laying in dark corners or cave like places, you could try giving her a nest in a dog travel crate or setting a bale of straw in their coop with a little space between it and a wall to create a cozy secluded corner.

I found one of my geese moved nestung areas when I took awake her eggs quickly after she laid but my other goose didn't care she still has the same nest

Back
Top Bottom