Changing from Starter to Layer with mixed ages

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by haunani, May 21, 2017.

1. haunani

haunani Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    near Rockford, IL
    I'm wondering when is the best time to make the switch from Chick Starter to Layer feed for my birds. My birds are 7 weeks apart in age. The older 3 are all EEs, if it makes any difference.

The brand I'm feeding suggests making the change at 16 weeks. Should I start mixing in Layer feed when the older birds hit 16 weeks or should I wait a couple of weeks until the younger ones catch up a little?

Thank you!

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Whatever you decide will be fine.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Feed to the youngest, not the oldest. ....your older birds will be fine without layer feed until the younger ones are of age for it. Many of us never use layer at all. Supply oyster shell to provide calcium to those that start laying before the youngest birds are ready.

haunani likes this.
  4. haunani

haunani Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    near Rockford, IL
    You know, if I had taken my own (typical) advice and actually bothered to search here and/or Google, I would have had my answer very quickly, lol.

Thank you Ol Grey Mare. That's precisely what *everything* I found said to do. So I now know I'm good to go to keep feeding the starter until mid-August. I'll just need to pick up some oyster shell (and some more grit... I'm low) in the next couple of weeks.

eggbert420 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by