Changing litter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poupoule, Dec 10, 2008.

1. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Tried the sand anyway as a litter in my brooder. Would not recommended it!What a mess!![​IMG] Got everywher where chicks scratched. and get very sticky with the poos.

Will try newspaper today. But how many times do I need to change the litter in the brooder. I have now 12 chicks of different ages (not sure).

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I had good luck with pine shavings. I'd change it twice a week and add a little more everyday.

3. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I am after a litter that I do not need to buy, but have plenty supply at home. So twice a week, sounds not to bad. Even for 1 week old?

4. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

We had a box of puppy training pads left over in a box. They are really nice - not very environmental but easy to clean up and absorbant.

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    They shouldn't be on newspaper when the are very young- Someone feel free to jump in and say when it's ok. It is too slipery and they get something called spradle leg. You can lay paper towels over the top.

6. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Why does newspaper litter cause spraddle leg?

Peggy

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:It can be too slick/slippery when the chicks are only a few days old.

Dawn

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

When they potty on it too it gets even slicker like ice on a highway after a winter storm. Bambi ring a bell! LOL

I use the pine bedding and it works great. You can get the cheap dollar general shelf liner and it works great for traction for them.

9. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I am using the deep litter method in the big coop, it has worked great for the several months I have used it.

I took some of the old litter from the big coop- which is leaves, pine needles, and old hay- and mixed it with new hay for the litter in my brooder. It is about 6 inches deep. So far, it has worked out great. This chicks just arrived and are pooping like crazy. The poop oozes Down through the layers and is not making a mess at all. From what I have read, this deep litter won't need to be changed, just stired up about once a week. There are studies done on chicks raised on the deep litter with much higher success. If you would like to read these articles I found them at www.robertplamdondon.com. [​IMG]

10. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    We use bed pads/liners with ours in the brooder for a few days, till thier legs get a lil stronger. After 3 days, then we switch to the shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by