Changing litter

poupoule

Songster
11 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Tried the sand anyway as a litter in my brooder. Would not recommended it!What a mess!!
barnie.gif
Got everywher where chicks scratched. and get very sticky with the poos.

Will try newspaper today. But how many times do I need to change the litter in the brooder. I have now 12 chicks of different ages (not sure).

I am after a litter that I do not need to buy, but have plenty supply at home. So twice a week, sounds not to bad. Even for 1 week old?

They shouldn't be on newspaper when the are very young- Someone feel free to jump in and say when it's ok. It is too slipery and they get something called spradle leg. You can lay paper towels over the top.

When they potty on it too it gets even slicker like ice on a highway after a winter storm. Bambi ring a bell! LOL

I use the pine bedding and it works great. You can get the cheap dollar general shelf liner and it works great for traction for them.

I am using the deep litter method in the big coop, it has worked great for the several months I have used it.

I took some of the old litter from the big coop- which is leaves, pine needles, and old hay- and mixed it with new hay for the litter in my brooder. It is about 6 inches deep. So far, it has worked out great. This chicks just arrived and are pooping like crazy. The poop oozes Down through the layers and is not making a mess at all. From what I have read, this deep litter won't need to be changed, just stired up about once a week. There are studies done on chicks raised on the deep litter with much higher success. If you would like to read these articles I found them at www.robertplamdondon.com.
smile.png

We use bed pads/liners with ours in the brooder for a few days, till thier legs get a lil stronger. After 3 days, then we switch to the shavings.

Back
Top Bottom