Changing location of laying

dianefbarfield

Chirping
Apr 15, 2022
Hi. I have 3 young hen, all consistent in laying every day. They have been using a small coop every day to lay. It has 6 Nesting places and straw. They only go in to lay so it is very clean. Suddenly I am finding their eggs in the large coop where they roost and sleep (and poop). Why would they change.? They have loved the quiet dark little coop? Ican close the big coop during the day but this morning when I let them out 2 had already laid eggs.

As to why they change, :idunno. My girls are constantly changing where they lay. We have 7 nest boxes between 2 coops. They all started off laying in the small coop, then gradually shifted to the big coop. They will all choose one box in there and then gradually shift to another. Sometimes some will lay in the small coop for a few weeks and then go back to the big. Currently, almost all are laying in a nest dug into the shavings beside the nest boxes🤦‍♀️
If you want them to lay in the small coop, you can try closing off the big coop and placing fake eggs/rocks/golf balls in the nest boxes. It might work, or they may choose to lay in run (hopefully that won't be the case). Does your flock free range? If so, I would keep then in the run while you are trying to re-train them. Definitely don't want them laying out in the yard!

As to why they change, :idunno. My girls are constantly changing where they lay. We have 7 nest boxes between 2 coops. They all started off laying in the small coop, then gradually shifted to the big coop. They will all choose one box in there and then gradually shift to another. Sometimes some will lay in the small coop for a few weeks and then go back to the big. Currently, almost all are laying in a nest dug into the shavings beside the nest boxes🤦‍♀️
If you want them to lay in the small coop, you can try closing off the big coop and placing fake eggs/rocks/golf balls in the nest boxes. It might work, or they may choose to lay in run (hopefully that won't be the case). Does your flock free range? If so, I would keep then in the run while you are trying to re-train them. Definitely don't want them laying out in the yard!
Thanks. They do not free range. I checked for anything (insects, etc) and put in some fresh straw. Maybe they will go back. Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom