changing pine shavings??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tigercreek, Jan 24, 2011.

1. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

How often do you normally have to change the pine shavings out? 14 chicks in 2X3 brooder. thanks . ............stan

2. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow - I'd probably scoop out the worst of the visible poop about every day, or change everything every third day or so. We had only four chicks in something that size and I had to change it fully at least weekly. It's amazing the volume of poop that the little peepers create! Perhaps it's because the brooder was in our master bathroom and I wasn't into smelling it, but that seemed to me to be reasonable.

Also...I have heard pine shavings are safe, but there is some offgassing - suggest you consider aspen shavings, as they are even safer.

3. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    I agree with above. I cleaned mine out at least once a week and the most chicks I had in one that size was 9. I would clean it out twice a week with that many babies.

4. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    When I was using pine litter I cleaned mine (top layer only) daily. Every couple days I would toss it all and put in fresh litter.

I'm using newspaper/waste paper now as my brooder is huge and it was costing me too much in litter.....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I probably change things about the time I can start to smell things. But I also keep my brooder out in the garage. But cleaning the obvious out is good common sense. The chicks are not immune to a lot of things like salmonella until they are about 2 weeks. So the first 2 weeks are the most important to keep an eye out for chicks with pasty butt, and respiratory distress. After the first two weeks then I don't sweat things very much. Most chickens are able to handle less than pristine conditions.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you have 14 chicks in a 2x3 brooding area, you gonna have to move them to much larger quarters very soon anyhow. Perhaps you'd rather put those fresh shavings there. 14 chicks will need a grow out pen soon, perhaps as large as 8x10. Depending on the breed and their temperament, picking and harming each other is a real risk. Enjoy your new batch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by